Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Walthousen SCV WSCVX and Hodges SCB HDPSX

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
Does anyone have any experience with either of these funds. I just found them and they seem to be doing very well in their categories. Thank you in advance.

Comments

• The Hodges funds are aggressive and really for those who have a high risk tolerance - they got creamed in 2008. As I noted with some threads discussing Mairs and Power Small Cap, personally, I'd rather suggest looking for sectors/funds that haven't done very well rather than going for things that have done quite well, which could easily turn into an instance of performance chasing.
  • Both funds are rather aggressive high beta, high standard deviation funds. When markets are going up they do very well but when market is declining downside is likely to be big as well. Check the upside/downside capture ratios on M* (Rating and Risk tab)

Given the market is rising over long time the high upside produces good long term results but you are likely to feel pain in short term declines and might have difficulty holding it.
  • Thank you both VERY much! That was what I feared. I'll not go there!