Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

How Do T. Rowe Price Funds Stack Up ?

TedTed
edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
FYI: In my opinion a top tier fund house.
Regards,
Ted
http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=568085

Comments

• I own some TRP. They offer a million different funds, but only just ...let's say "several" funds that shine vs. peers. OTCFX, PRSVX and PREMX deserve mention. The linked article from Ted paints in broad brush-strokes. On that basis, well, at least a TRP investor can feel relatively safe. But I've discovered that FNMIX, for example, and MSCFX, for another, are better than the aforementioned TRP offerings.
  • Thanks Ted,

Over the years I have migrated some investments to TRP. I have shares in the following funds:

PRHSX...Health Science Fund up 35% this year due to exposure to biotech
    PRMSX...Up 13 % ytd, a less volatile Emerging Market fund
    RPSIX...Multisector bond fund...my cash alternative...up 8.7% ytd
    PRASX...LC EM fund...10 yr outperformance to catagory...up 16% ytd
    PRNHX...Small US Growth fund... up 19% YTD
    PRJPX...Japan Fund...up 7% ytd...trying to be patient with this one
    PRDMX...Mid Cap fund up 17 % ytd
    PRWCX...Nice steady Moderate allocation fund...top 5% of category...up 13% ytd
    PRMTX...Tech Communications fund...great fund...up 20% ytd

Also a TRP account provides the benefit of utilizing some of M* premium features such as Instant X-ray through the TRP account portal. I have nothing but good thing to say about T. Rowe Price.

• edited September 2012
    Thank you Ted. Very thorough review. Spot-on. For such a large house with as many funds as they offer, they do a more than respectable job. Yes - international equity needs work. A decade ago would have said same about many of their fixed income funds. Then, Mary Miller took over that area and really turned it around. Be sure they're working to make international equity top-notch too.
  • Howdy Master,

Price is probably the best out there. I consider Vanguard, Price and Fido to be the best of the large full service houses. I've been dealing with Price for about 20 years and they've always been user friendly and offered a nice selection of funds. Sure, you could ideate any number of designer funds they don't offer, but sheeesh. If you're that selective around the edges, get a brokerage account with them and go nuts. I played a LOT of pink sheets in my IRA back in mid- 2000s with them.

Vanguard turned a bit snotty after Sir Jack left. Went commercial as it were. Got positively pissy with retention periods. Wifey is almost done with them on an SEPP rollover IRA nee 401K and we'll both be glad.

Fido is OK, but I haven't dealt with them as a broker other than indirectly on their platform. Update, I moved wifey's Roth to them after EuroPac. They offer everything under the sun and all so if you like them - good house.

American Century was my first back when they were 20thC and they're also a good house, albeit not such a broad offering of funds.

What I would and have suggested to many is to contact ALL of them and request their New Investors Kit, IRA Kit and Prospectuses. Then sit down and read ALL OF IT. Then decide which house is most attractive to you. They're all safe.

peace,

rono
  • I think with Fido, Vanguard, TRP, etc. you have to ACCEPT your entire portfolio will be with them. From that perspective they stack up very well. When we do this we are trusting the investment house as a whole and their "way of thinking" translates across a broad spectrum of their funds. Assuming they know what they are doing, the portfolio benefits.

Having one of fund from a fund behemoth in your portfolio is IMHO not a good move. One does not need VGHCX or PRHSX only. Just go healthcare index.