Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

AQR Risk Parity fund to close.

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1444822/000119312512400007/d414641d497.htm

AQR FUNDS

Supplement dated September 21, 2012 (“Supplement”)

To the Class I and N Prospectus, dated May 1, 2012 (“Prospectus”),

of the AQR Risk Parity Fund

This Supplement updates certain information contained in the above-dated Prospectus. You may obtain copies of the Fund’s Prospectus and Statement of Additional Information free of charge, upon request, by calling (866) 290-2688, or by writing to AQR Funds, P.O. Box 2248, Denver, CO 80201-2248. Please review this important information carefully.

Effective at the close of business November 16, 2012 (the “Closing Date”), the AQR Risk Parity Fund (the “Fund”) will be closed to new investors, subject to certain exceptions. Existing shareholders of the Fund will be permitted to make additional investments in the Fund and reinvest dividends and capital gains after the Closing Date in any account that held shares of the Fund as of the Closing Date.

Notwithstanding the closing of the Fund, you may open a new account in the Fund (including through an exchange from another AQR Fund) and thereafter reinvest dividends and capital gains in the Fund if you meet the Fund’s eligibility requirements and are:

• A current shareholder of the Fund as of the Closing Date—either (a) in your own name or jointly with another or as trustee for another, or (b) as beneficial owner of shares held in another name opening a (i) new individual account or IRA account in your own name, (ii) trust account, (iii) joint account with another party or (iv) account on behalf of an immediate family member;

• A qualified defined contribution retirement plan that offers the Fund as an investment option as of the Closing Date purchasing shares on behalf of new and existing participants;

• An investor opening a new account at a financial institution and/or financial intermediary firm that (i) has clients currently invested in the Fund and (ii) has been pre-approved by the Adviser to purchase the Fund on behalf of certain of its clients. Investors should contact the firm through which they invest to determine whether new accounts are permitted; or

• A participant in a tax-exempt retirement plan of the Adviser and its affiliates and rollover accounts from those plans, as well as employees of the Adviser and its affiliates, trustees and officers of the Trust and members of their immediate families.

Except as otherwise noted, once an account is closed, additional investments or exchanges from other AQR Funds will not be accepted unless you are one of the investors listed above. Investors may be required to demonstrate eligibility to purchase shares of the Fund before an investment is accepted.

The Fund reserves the right to (i) make additional exceptions that, in its judgment, do not adversely affect the Adviser’s ability to manage the Fund, (ii) reject any investment, including those pursuant to exceptions detailed above, that it believes will adversely affect the Adviser’s ability to manage the Fund, and (iii) close and re-open the Fund to new or existing shareholders at any time.

PLEASE RETAIN THIS SUPPLEMENT FOR YOUR FUTURE REFERENCE

Comments

• edited September 2012
    I'm going to add a bit more next week and then that'll be it. I certainly see this as a long-term holding and quite like the fund.

Lastly, for those who own or considering the fund, I think the quarterly letter from the fund is quite informative and provides good insights into the fund's process and recent performance.

https://www.aqrfunds.com/Portals/0/FundDocuments/Quarterly Updates/Commentary$text/RPMF.pdf

I find it very interesting that this fund is closing (interesting to see what the "capacity" apparently is) and I'm pleased it is, although if the new Risk Parity funds (two different volatility variations, although not sure when those will come out; the LV Commodity fund is still not out) from AQR come out soon, people will still have other options.
  • I continue to like the diversifying benefits of the RP funds, as they continue to be poorly correlated with most asset classes. We own 4% positions in both AQRIX and ABRIX, which only have a 0.73 correlation to each other over the past two years. Other funds that I follow in the RP space are MMAFX and PDRYX. Here is a CHART of these funds.

Kevin
  • Since I'm a few $M short of the $5M minimum individual investment (although I am investing in a Powerball ticket tomorrow) and TDA rejected my attempted IRA investment despite listing no minimum, is there a platform accepting reasonable minimums (No more than $5K) to get my foot in the door before November? FIDO wants $75 for $2500 minimum.
  • Reply to @STB65: Were you rejected for the I shares or N shares?
  • Hmmm, Entered AQRIX and got no minimum required, just now entered AQRNX and got no minimum required message also; but this order was accepted. Guess TDA's just a bit casual about some details (and I'm not too acute some nights).

Thanks for the info
  • Is anyone listening to me?:-P

AQR N class shares can be bought for $100 at Scottrade. I didn't try with that low amount but that's what it says on the fund page.
  • Reply to @scott: What makes this fund do so well this year?