Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Money Market at PIMCO

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
This question is on behalf of someone related to my in-laws. For some reason that individual can (seriously?) only invest with PIMCO. So I looked for a place to keep uninvested cash at PIMCO. I found "Government Money Market" but it does not have D shares. There is however a Short-Term (PSHDX) and a Low Duration (PLDDX) fund both having D class shares. Now the former is UltraShort Bond while later is Short Bond but managed by Bill Gross.

I'm thinking PLDDX is worth the "risk" as long as there really isn't any true money market fund available retail at PIMCO. Any advice would be extremely helpful before I provide advice I hopefully don't regret (I genuinely love my in-laws).

Comments

• You won't lose your fine relationship with anyone, by recommending PLDDX. The fund has a most decent record, including 2008. PLDDX has a bit more zip than PSHDX; and the PSHDX fund should deliver a steady, but lower return; as the ultra-short end of the yield curve is more fixed in place at this time by the Fed. Curious as to what the cash holdings of 87% are; as indicated in the June, 2012 document. I have not viewed the prospectus.

Disclosure: We do hold PLDDX.

My inflation adjusted 2 cents worth.

Regards,
    Catch
  • Reply to @catch22: Thanks much. I still need to find out why this fella wants to invest only with PIMCO. I was looking at their website and couldn't find anyway to purchase D class shares. Sounds like something fishy going on.
  • Any thought about PIMCO Short Asset "D" (PAIUX). I've only just begun the profile of it, but here's the marketing pitch for it: "this is where Bill Gross puts his uninvested cash."

David
  • Bond funds I think we all watch...kinda tough to reconcile anything but RNSIX or PONDX in this reluctant bull market, no?

• Reply to @VintageFreak:
    One note regarding the person's investments, is whether the acct. is sheltered (401k, IRA, etc.); as PLDDX (437%) and some other Pimco funds have hefty turnover rates which could have a negative impact on non-sheltered tax returns.
  • Charts always look good in a "bull market". This has been a bull market for bonds.
    Regarding PIMCO Short Asset, the bigger endorsement I feel is Gross does not manage the fund yet says that's where he is parking his cash. I wouldn't have thought it is more conservative than PSHDX, but it seems like it.
  • Hi Vintage.

You're right, of course.

And yet...

I think that to invest in a fund like RPHYX or PAIUX, you need to have a three month or less horizon. If so, you definitely need a "cash" fund.

But if your time line is more reasonable, like two years, then hard to reconcile not going with a solid fixed income fund, like RNSIX or PONDX or DODIX.

Through market bulls and bears, DODIX, for example, has never lost more than 3% in a single calendar year, and yet it has earned much more in any two-year period. Here's tally of annual returns since 1989:

YTD 6.2%
    2011 4.8%
    2010 7.2%
    2009 16.1%
    2008 -0.3%
    2007 4.7%
    2006 5.3%
    2005 2.0%
    2004 3.6%
    2003 6.0%
    2002 10.8%
    2001 10.3%
    2000 10.7%
    1999 -0.8%
    1998 8.1%
    1997 10.0%
    1996 3.6%
    1995 20.2%
    1994 -2.9%
    1993 11.3%
    1992 7.8%
    1991 17.9%
    1990 7.4%
    1989 11.5%
  • D shares are only available through brokerages. I'm going to recommend the gent look for some other fund family. I think this person thinks he is james "bond" guy therefore looking at PIMCO, no other reason.

Besides the big 3 (Fido, Vanguard, TRP), anyone know broad based company with substantial fixed income offerings? American Century maybe? How about Manning & Napier?
  • edited September 2012
    Bill Gross may not be James Bond, but some certainly think he is Superman. I'm actually a bit sympathetic to your friend's inclination.

Did you know that Gross once ran three marathons in three consecutive days?

There is a very poignant scene at the end of the book by WSJ reporter Scott Patterson, called "The Quants," where Gross and Ed Thorpe meet at PIMCO headquarters in Newport Beach and reminisce about their professional beginnings.

Thorpe is the legendary professor, hedge fund manager, and author of "Beat The Dealer" and "Beat The Market."

"The Quants," recommended by our own scott, is a fantastic look at some of the giants in this investment industry. And PIMCO? I believe it is the giant among giants.
  • Reply to @Charles: I meant the person I'm trying to help thinks HE is James Bond, not Bill Gross:-)