Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Low expense funds vs high expense funds with exceptional returns

edited September 2012 in Fund Discussions
Over the years I have used expense ratio as one one factor in choosing a fund .
In recent years I have come to realize that many funds have a superior returns even though they have higher expense ratios. Case in point is the advertising talking points of Vanguard funds. I now look at the expense ratio last before I choose a fund.

prinx

Comments

• Do you mean funds with similar investment types and similar risk? Or does this matter?
  • I don't know that I would put expenses at the bottom of a screen, but they are an important consideration. Yeah there are a lot of funds that can put up great numbers and earn their expenses. But there is no guarantee that will continue, and in a down year, the higher expenses can put even more pressure on total returns. All that being said, however, there some funds that I believe do earn their way despite higher expenses. For example, WAEMX is not at all a cheap fund in terms of expenses. It plays in thinkly-traded emerging market small cap stocks, often venturing into frontier markets that are even more difficult to execute trades. So its 1.96% expense ratio is indeed high. But compared to EEM or VWO(emerg mkt index), it's blown past over the fund's short history. Will it continue? I don't know, of course. But given the talents of the lead managers, we have a lot of confidence.

Expenses are really important when dealing with fixed-income funds. Since total return expectations are likely much less than with equity funds, higher expenses, unless the fund has really out-shot its competition, can be a real drag.
  • Expenses are definitely an important factor for me. When buying a fund, you are buying it for its future performance, not past performance. It can be very difficult to predict the future performance of a fund... but expenses are one thing you can be definitely sure about.

Generally I will have a specific strategy/style in mind, say "REIT fund" or "opportunistic concentrated fund with value tilt." Once I have a few funds where I think the skill/strategies are comparable (or at least not clearly better than another), I will almost always pick the one that has the lowest expenses, even if its performance has not been the best. Again, that's because I am not buying a fund for past performance, but future performance.

Note that this does not mean I only buy funds with low expenses. Some investment strategies/styles simply cost more. WAEMX is a good example. I hold WAEMX and have no complaints about its performance, but again, I don't know how it will do in the future. So I am also looking at GPIOX and other possible alternatives that have lower expenses.

Lastly I am not sure what point you were trying to make about Vanguard. I will just say that Vanguard funds generally perform very well, and more importantly, they perform well *consistently*. Just going off Morningstar, VTSMX has been in the top 50% every year for at least the last 10 years (and many years it is in the top 1/3), and the low fees are definitely a major factor for that performance.