Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ping rono

DAK
edited May 2011 in Off-Topic
Hi rono,
Did you ever buy silver directly from a mine or only from kitco and others. How do you know you are getting a good price? I found a mine that will sell directly and wondered about premium over spot. Thoughts???
http://www.store.firstmajestic.com/

Comments

• Hi DAK,

I have never bought from a mine and would hesitate to do so. Not because of the price, per se, but because of the pedigree . . . or lack thereof. Fungibility is crucial when buying physical bullion. The American Eagles can be traded at most McDonalds - almost. If you buy an ingot from The Eldorado Mine how will it be assayed, stamped, weighed, etc. I own some rounds and small art ingots but very few. The rounds and ingots I own are ALL either Engelhard or JohnsonMatthey. They cost a bit more than junk pieces but they sell for more and more easily.

'I don't like the color of your money stranger',

peace,

rono
  • I didn't know you could buy directly from mines.
  • You could go down to Potosi and dig your own ore. But it is breakbreaking work for the indigent miners there.