Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Twitchy markets, some of the usual suspects.....TIS, deja vu or Groundhog Day, the movie theme

edited June 2018 in Fund Discussions
Many sectors globally, after a big run in January; and then the market twitch at the end of the month finds most areas at the very best, no better than a sideways move.

--- Asia, Europe, U.S. equity, many continue in a "down" trend and negative YTD

--- U.S. utils, real estate and consumer staples trying to establish an "up" trend the past 2 days

--- Investment grade bonds attempting to establish a continued "up" in pricing (meaning yields down).

Well, just my humble, inflation adjusted observation.

Our house remains 50% U.S. equity oriented, with the majority in tech. and health; and 50% money market cash.

Good fortune to your particular holdings.
Catch

Comments

• edited June 2018
    Odd isn’t it? Such low volatility.

I like to hunt for really beaten up sectors to throw a bit of $$ at. Sometimes it works. Sometimes doesn’t. But fun nonetheless. There really aren’t any right now. Latin America comes closest. But still sporting nice 1-year gains. So doesn’t meet my definition of “really beaten up.” EM bonds off a bit - but not greatly. Real estate’s another one. But not down as much as earlier in the year. Not nearly beaten up enough for me to take a gamble on it (but I hold a slim slice as a long term portfolio component).

It’s been said “A fool and his money are soon parted”. This is not the time to be brave IMHO.
  • edited June 2018
    Hi @hank
    Agree. One choice could be Latin America, yes; more so, Brazil. The area is a traders paradise, if one is very good at that. The swings have been pretty wide for that market.
    There remains so much hot money in the global hunt, that I suspect the POTUS could launch a cruise missile or two to close a few more openings in the N. Korea mountains and a market down burp wouldn't last more than a few days.
    The late January/early February market twitch was supposedly to do with some funny business in the derivatives areas. I haven't had time to try to clarify the "truth".
    We're still waiting for the ax to fall hard in tech. and health; our largest exposure to equity, when a big "twitch" arrives and stays for awhile.
    Lastly, 9pm, Michigan time; the VIX is up by 3% (neg. imply for equity), u.s. gov't bond prices up; although Asia equity is mixed for the most part.
  • edited June 2018
    -- June 25, Monday 10pm

-China related equity getting the big slap again (their opening markets).
    -Global overall still holding the barf bag and filling same.
    -U.S. equity closes today find utils/telecom/con. staples positive, a very short list.
    -The big winners for the past few years are naturally taking the hits...tech.; health along with large cap growth in general. Y'all knew getting d'FANGED would affect many areas, yes?
    -Real estate a bit negative, too

***In particular, with a view towards the above is that U.S. Treasury issues, 10 and 30 year are not getting much positive action.

So, we don't have a scared to death market yet, eh?

Profit taking only. If so, where is the rotation moving towards?

Too many questions still without a good guideline.

Feel free to add to the list, either negative or positive.
    Good night.
    Catch
  • edited June 2018
    Base on DOWS data, it's definitely almost corrections time... Who can predict what will happen next 6-12 months, hard to say...