Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

RIVFX Royce Global performance

M* shows 1-year returns at +48.15% and 3 years at +10.06%. In particular, that 1-year number feels hinky. It seems to have jumped up quite a bit, compared to what was being reported last week or the week before. FORTY EIGHT percent? Really?

Comments

• Hi Max,

The correct trailing 1-year return for RIVFX (5/10/10 - 5/10/11) is 42% based on the M* chart tool, as well as the yahoo finance adjusted (for distributions) closing NAVs during this period (10.95 - 15.56).

Kevin
  • I own a bit of RIVFX. Damn pricey thing (1.78% expense ratio) but returns have very good. I have to decide between it, MSMLX and VSS for the international/global small cap component of my portfolio. I probably will go w RIVFX (global) as I already own a couple of Matthews funds (asian). Might pair it w VSS (Vanguard All World x US Small Cap Index) so as to mitigate that expense ratio.

Dan
  • Thanks, you two.
  • Hi Dan,

Right now, RIVFX is the most attractive global SMID cap fund, but it is very expensive. In fact, the net expense ratio actually increased from 1.69% to 1.78% on 5/1/2011. I really like the combination of VSS and RIVFX, which would give the following M* porfolio:

LC: 0/3/3
    MC: 16/20/27
    SC: 10/12/9,

Cash 8%, US Stocks 10%, Foreign Stocks 80%, Other 2%; 1.06% combined expense ratio; and $1.8B Average Market Cap.

Kevin
  • Max, I don't know what figure you are looking but according to M* 1 yr total return, it is 42.11% as of today closing.
  • I own 2% in this fund and have been happy with this small amount in it. It is the only World Stock Fund among the ones I am tracking that has gained week, month, 3 month and YTD.
  • Hello, again, all. Investor, I was only seeing the 1-year return statistic posted on the "quote" page, which gives a summary of a bunch of different stuff, at Morningstar. That was a couple of days ago, now. They've been incorrect before, posting contradictory numbers as one moves from clickable link to clickable link. The ER went UP on RIVFX? Crud. That sucks. I missed that. They are "milking" us because they see how popular the fund has become. It is a good thing indeed that those jokers are "bringing home a BOATLOAD of bacon." Anyhow, I've been in RIVFX almost since inception. Assets have exploded just in the last year or two. (Same for RYDVX.) As for the profits, I cannot complain. Yet that does not justify RAISING the ER.