Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Goodbye, And Many Thanks, To My Favorite Mutual Fund Ever : Royce Select Fund

Comments

• edited October 2012
    I'm not quite sure what to make of the story. Royce created a fund that was impossible for most investors to get into and then was surprised, as it seems the author was, that most investors paid no attention to it.

I've been watching the fund for years, but its two entry barriers placed it outside our coverage universe:

1. "Only 'qualified investors' may invest in the Royce Select Funds. A “qualified investor” ... has a net worth ( excluding the value of the primary residence) of more than $2,000,000; or ... owns Fund shares having a net asset value of at least $1,000,000. "

2. The minimum initial investment for qualified investors is $50,000.

The fund has now eliminated its variable-fee structure and, thus, escaped the first, SEC-imposed hurdle but the $50,000 minimum remains.

David