Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Large amount of unreleased $100 bills stolen from Fed Reserve in airport heist

Comments

• Shhhh! Psst... Has Fed-Ex delivered your share yet?
  • edited October 2012
    Err...Doesn't the FED effectively do the same thing? Why doesn't the FBI also say they KNOW the serial numbers on those bills? Let's think about this for a second.

One buy's a used iPhone on eBay. One does not know its stolen. rOne starts using it, then FBI comes after the one who bought not sold. This is not fiction. It has happened.

So now someone pays me with this $100 bill. I deposit in my bank account. What happens?

Anyone planning on writing a novel with this plot, remember to send me royalty checks.
  • I guess theoretically, since it was Fed stuff, they could retire the serial numbers but someone would be a bit stuck. Maybe if they retire the numbers and notify the banks, the bank will let you know that you didn't have any money in that deposit envelope.
  • since printing fiat currency is in vogue today, how significant is this news? I read in forbes that there is some discussion about a return to a gold standard, in which case an armed guard or guards would travel with the money to its' destination.
  • edited October 2012
    Reply to @romroc: "...how significant is this news?"

You're right. Other than fodder for late night comedians, little here.

Linked article attempts to mathematically quantify the amount stolen
    http://consciouslifenews.com/serious-questions-emerge-after-large-amount-new-100-bills-stolen-en-route-federal-reserve/1139827/
  • Hank, didn't I tell ya to stay quiet about this for a while???