Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited October 2012
    Hi Hank,

Thanks for posting Jeff Saut's take on the market. I check the Raymond James site each Monday to read his weekly blurb. I have linked below a recap by Market Folly of his latest blurb. It is about managing losses.

http://www.marketfolly.com/2012/10/jeff-saut-investing-performance.html?

I am pleasantly suprised that the market (S&P 500 Index) is at its current level (1455) which computes to about a 15.6% ytd gain. Go figure, it must be the cheap money that the Fed is feeding the banks that are fueling the rally. I guess, there is little to be gained form buying Treasuries so banks are now buying stocks. Wonder what will happen when the cheap source of money dries up? I am still on the equity train but I have dialed equities back within the past year even though they currently are about 45% to 50% of my portfolio.

As Trailways use to say ... Enjoy the ride and leave the driving to us!

Skeeter
  • Reply to @Skeeter: I apologize for being one of those annoying attention to detail guys but you can't overlook dividends. YTD at the October 16 close, the total S&P return has been 17.71%. A very good year indeed for those so invested.
  • edited October 2012
    Hi 007,

No apology necessary ...

You are correct in as much that the number I reported was not the total return for the Index but was the price gain. In round numbers the Index started the year at 1258 and through 10/16 it closed at 1455 for a gain of 197 or 15.6%.

Thanks for adding in the dividends.

Have a great evening ...

Skeeter