Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Steelpath to be acquired by Oppenheimer

edited October 2012 in Fund Discussions
I haven't heard anything on the board about this but I own Steelpath MLP 40 (MLPYX) and recently received a notice to vote for the Steelpath to be acquired by Oppenheimer. Anyone else know any details on this?

Comments

• TedTed
    edited October 2012
    chrisblabe ; For your information this was announced last July. Oppenheimer want's space in the MLP market.
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.oppenheimerfunds.com/articles/article_07-17-12-120053.jsp

M* Steelpath Funds; http://quicktake.morningstar.com/fundfamily/steelpath/0C00005651/fund-list.aspx
  • Ted,
    Thanks for the information. Is this a case like with Marketfield (MFLDX) where the shop has a new owner but is free to continue as before? I am curious if anyone who owns Steelpath is holding onto it or selling?
  • edited October 2012
    Thanks chrisblade. Must have missed earlier announcement. With a bit sitting in Opp's class A money fund, hoping maybe these new funds will offer an opportunity. Since their once fine commodities fund, QRAAX, tanked, ain't seen much to like there. Have some in OPPAX and OIBAX - two of their better funds. High fees & erratic performance dog many.
  • edited October 2012
    Reply to @hank: You know, I've never taken a closer look at the Oppenheimer Commodity Fund. I found the variation in performance curious versus other commodity funds recently, and I never realized it was actively managed in terms of how it allocates to commodities (vs the Pimco funds that are more "index-like".)

As for the original post, I think MLPs remain compelling, although there's a lot of debate as to the best way to invest. I've largely gone with individual names.
  • edited October 2012
    Reply to @scott: Since you expressed some interest, here's what I know:

Prior to about 1997, SEC regs prevented mutual funds from investing in commodities. Around '97 Oppenheimer successfully structured a fund that would cut mustard with regulators (It's possible the regs were also relaxed - don't know). Pretty sure it was the first such mutual fund available. Like many back then, I was disturbed by the rapid run-up in stocks & was looking for an alternative to diversify into. For a few years, starting in 98, averaged a small sum into the fund's class A shares. The fund caught the rapid runup in energy just right and - bang - took off and had a great multi year run. You can see that on the chart (QRAAX). As I'm sure you know, exposure to commodities is done through derivatives. Most of the $$ actually sits in bonds and draws interest. -

Around '07 or '08, Oppenheimer abruptly closed the fund to new inflows. Even those of us with $$ invested were not allowed to add to positions. A letter went out to shareholders - the gist being that the fund was in danger of collapsing as currently structured & changes in how it operates were being undertaken. Specifics were not given. About a year later, it re-opened to new $$ - and that's about the time performance fell off the cliff & never really recovered.

Interestingly, they now use the GSCI (Goldman Sachs Commodities Index). My recollection is that back when it first opened it was benchmarked to the CRB - but am not 100% certain. FWIW