Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Looking for input / advice on fund choices

edited October 2012 in Fund Discussions
Hello all,

Recently changed jobs and have to do some choosing for my 401k. I'm trying to evaluate domestic equity funds (choices are so limited in terms of bonds and international equity, that there really is no choice to be made).

My options are:

Large Cap
Vanguard S&P 500 Index
Nuveen Large Cap Growth (FIGWX)

Mid Cap
Vanguard Extended Market Index
T. Rowe Price Mid Cap Growth (PAMCX)
John Hancock 3 Mid Cap Value I (JVMIX)
Neuberger Berman Genesis Trust (NBGIX)

Small Cap
Vanguard Extended Market Index
Buffalo Small Cap (BUFSX)

As far as I can tell, FIGWX and NBGIX owe much of their success to not falling for the dot-com boom; but after that have tracked the index pretty tightly; so I'm planning on just going with the index funds. JVMIX is also a toss-up.

Anyone have any experience with these funds, or any other thoughts?

Much appreciated.

D.S.

Comments

• Dear D.S. In my opinion I would invest in VFINX, PAMCX, and BUFSX
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Ditto what Ted suggested. Most managed fund alpha comes from the small to mid cap categories. And PAMCX And BUFSX are fine funds.
  • I too concur with Ted's suggestion. PAMCX and BUFSX are ran by long time experienced managers with solid records. Besides both funds are closed to new investors.