Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

A decade of U.S. economic sluggishness may have just snapped back to normal - Will inflation follow?

edited October 2018 in Off-Topic
A couple of days ago I mentioned in a post that Amazon's decision to increase its minimum wage to $15 provided a strong signal the risk of substantially higher inflation has increased. This follows up on that thinking....
“Wage inflation is creeping higher,” ....“There’s no question the job market in the United States is possibly at its best in a generation...The jobs report has become a inflation report.”
https://reuters.com/article/us-usa-economy-normal-analysis/a-decade-of-u-s-economic-sluggishness-may-have-just-snapped-back-to-normal-idUSKCN1MF220

Comments

• @MFO Members: Barron's Article: "Good News For Wages Is Bad News For Stocks"
    You’ve got to read past the headlines—and even more so in this age of internet clickbait. The September employment report released Friday morning amply attests to that.

Beyond the payroll numbers and the jobless rate, the real news was that wages continued their steady but moderate rise. That should keep the Federal Reserve on its present path of continuing to lift short-term interest rates, including another 0.25 percentage point increase widely anticipated in December.
    Regards,
    Ted
    https://www.barrons.com/articles/stocks-labor-as-unemployment-and-pay-improve-1538757029?mod=hp_DAY_2
  • edited October 2018
    MFO members:

Please know that @Ted’s apparent “response” to @davfor ‘s earlier post is a verbatim “copy & paste” from a Barron’s online article published October 5. Ted did provide a link. However, he didn’t use quotation marks or italicized characters to tell you the entire passage belongs to someone else. In fact, he didn’t have the intellectual honesty to credit the writer of those words whose name is Randall W. Forsyth.

(Sentence deleted)

Setting aside the plagiaristic presentation of Mr. Forsyth’s writing, I’d ask in what way it it serves a discussion board to respond to a member’s comments with words copied from the lead-in to a piece of mainstream journalism - void of any personal introspection?
  • edited October 2018
    @hank This is just a technical comment. With my Chrome browser, opening Ted's link in an Incognito Window permits me to read the article....
  • edited October 2018
    @davfor,

Thanks for letting us know how the entire article by Mr. Forsyth may be accessed. I did not want that to interfere with what I was trying to say above. So in response to your comment I have gone back and deleted this apparently inaccurate sentence from my earlier post:

Barron’s has blocked the article from free reading - except for the short (hyped) introductory passage @Ted copied rendering the limited content of the fragmented clip of dubious value to investors. (deleted sentence)

Thanks for contributing to the board. I enjoy and benefit from the comments our widely varied array of posters here offer. Their personal glimpses, reactions, insights are far more relevant and useful to me than verbatim text copied from commercial mainstream publications.
    -

Added: I actually receive a (discounted) print subscription to Barron’s. In my opinion, Forsyth can’t hold a candle to legendary Alan Abelson who died in 2013 and whom Forsyth has replaced. I rarely read this publication and will not renew when the current subscription expires. There’s a “sameness” to the writing and analysis that I find hard to put into words. (LB being a prized exception of course) By contrast, I very much relish the likes of the WP, The Times of London, and Reuter’s - all of which I regularily read on a Kindle device. Their content is often fresh, provocative and entertaining. Thought about starting a separate thread on where folks go for news and analysis (financial and other). But these few humble thoughts will suffice.