Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

M*: 3 Emerging-Markets Equity Funds That Have Handled Volatility Well: (NEWFX) - (PRMSX) - (ODMAX)

FYI: Regards,Fears over trade wars, slowing growth in China, and rising U.S. interest rates have wreaked havoc on emerging-markets stocks. The diversified emerging-markets Morningstar Category was the worst nonsector or single-country fund peer group for the year to date and trailing 12 months through mid-October 2018.

This type of volatility still comes with the asset class. Emerging markets are different than they were when investors started using the term more than three decades ago. They are deeper, more liquid, and populated by more-mature global companies. The developing world, however, is still prone to social, political, and macroeconomic upheavals that can churn short-term equity returns. It still pays to have a steady hand at the helm of a proven process if you opt for an actively managed investment strategy.
Ted
https://www.morningstar.com/articles/887706/3-emergingmarkets-equity-funds-that-have-handled-v.html

Comments

• NEWFX is one of my three holdings found in my global growth sleeve. It has been a long term holding for me and one that I plan to continue to hold for a good number of years to come.
  • beebee
    edited October 2018
    @Old_Skeet, Thanks for bringing this fund to our attention. Others have mentioned PRMSX

https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/search?Search=prmsx

and still other ODMAX (including you and @Ted)

https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/search?Search=odmax

Asia gets more and more oversold.
  • @bee: "Asia gets more and more oversold." Are you a buyer ?
    Think I'll wait to add to MACSX ? until prices rise a tad.

Derf

• Have PRMSX and ODVIX. ODVIX has not performed well as EM have not done well and the AUM has ballooned.
  • edited October 2018
    Hi @bee: Years back I did at one time own ODMAX but sold it as I aged and got more conserative. Back then, I also owned NEWFX and retained it. Also, back then, my neutral allocation in the growth area of my portfolio was about 25% today it is 15%. In addition, years back I also owned DEMAX. These three funds comprised my emerging markets sleeve. Now, I am down to one emerging market fund NEWFX but thinking of adding DWGAX in the growth & income area of my portfolio in my global equity sleeve as it pays a quarterly dividend.
  • @Derf, what are your thoughts on MAPIX as oppose to MASCX?

Also, it appears small cap foreign funds have been hit hard recently. PRIDX (Foreign SC), OGIYX (Global SC), and Matthews MSMLX (Asian SC).