Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Ray Dalio’s Faith In Gold Is Unshaken

FYI: Not even gold’s second quarterly straight decline was enough to shake billionaire hedge-fund manager Ray Dalio’s confidence in gold.

Dalio’s Bridgewater Associates maintained its holdings in SPDR Gold Shares, the largest bullion-backed ETF, at 3.9 million shares, and its stake in iShares Gold Trust, the second-largest, at 11.3 million shares in the third quarter, according to a regulatory filing Tuesday.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-11-13/ray-dalio-s-faith-in-gold-unshaken-even-amid-investor-exodus

Comments

• Hi Doc,

Ah, define faith. I'm not playing in the metals other than a couple of 'canaries in the silver mine' that I permanently hold - the trend is terrible.

That said, why and for what reason does one possess gold and silver as part of their wealth? I'm still of the camp that every investor should have some small portion of his/her wealth in the metals . . . say 3-7%. More than this is speculative -which is fine but speculation never-the-less. I consider the 3-7% as core investment.

That said, right now the metals are a nasty place to make speculative money. It IS a very good time and POG/POS to go Christmas shopping for gifts for one and all. I look towards the first of the year, each year, to purchase physical gold and silver. The new Eagles and other crowns are out for the new year and a great time to buy some very pretty coins. I like to amass bullion in the form of crowns from around the world. Some of them are stunning and it adds some numismatic interest to what would otherwise be the stacking of poker chips.

and so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • edited November 2018
    How good is Dalio? Don’t know. I think he’s a darn good speaker. Could probably sell ice to an Eskimo. I will however confess to reading Fleckenstein. And he shares Dalio’s faith in gold. I just don’t know.

I do know gold blows hot and cold. When it’s falling, like it has been, it really hurts to own it. While I’ve got a little exposure to miners and bullion through a couple of funds, I can’t say it’s ever made me any money. It can frustrate even its staunchest adherents, as I think Dalio and Fleckenstein demonstrate. But you gotta respect folks like that sticking to their guns.

On the other hot topic re “Something Big” ... Yuppers - something big’s been happening for couple months. Markets have gone bonkers - very big swings in both directions. Some of the froth in the tech sector has been blown off. Some speculate it will get worse and that it is the consequence of the central banks removing QE. Makes sense. But I really don’t know.

Jerome Powell can breath a sigh of relief. Trump now has a Democratic House to blame as things continue to go south.