Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

10 of the Best Blue-Chip Stocks to Buy for 2019

https://money.usnews.com/investing/stock-market-news/slideshows/best-blue-chip-stocks-to-buy-this-year

The best blue-chip stocks to buy for 2019 can provide stability unseen in other corners of the markets.
Jnj
Brk
Antm
Apple
Comcast
Bac

Intel
Phillip

Comments

• Ahhh yes, the time of year when magazines and pundits offer their best picks for the new year by flipping coins, shaking their magic eight balls, etc. to come up with recommended buys. It's the most wonderful time of the year! :)

You have to wonder how much analysis goes into these lists .... as for me, I wouldn't touch INTC or BAC with a bargepole, and think AAPL is in the early innings of a larger pullback.
  • Right there with you rforno.
  • I have never regretted buying and holding Apple, and I always like BoA on dips. But I have been reading for 40y how JnJ is almost always a buy, a good buy, or better than that. Yet just graph its performance against any better equity fund or ETF.
  • @david - as a dividend growth investor I can't complain about JNJ. Yes it's performance YTD has been flat to muted at best but it's 3, 5, and 10 year charts are the things that make me smile. I picked up shares when they dipped down to 123 and I'm kind of hoping they go there again. They have just been a steady performer which is all I ask for.
  • Oh, sure. I have just always noted that over those timespans you do about as well or better w/ any SP500 etf, or DODGX, or by rolling your own using other steadies like BRK.A, Costco, or one of my favorite oldies nobody knows about or covers, Barnes Group. I simply keep wondering why the articles and headlines particularly about JNJ over the decades.