Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Active And Passive: A Look Under The Hood

FYI: Just like an auto manufacturer, every advisor wants a client’s investment portfolio to be a well-oiled machine with the right mix of performance and safety features. Last summer, after seeing countless headlines touting increased passive inflows, I found myself with many unanswered questions. Much of what I was reading just wasn’t adding up. Looking for answers, my colleague Mayank Goradia and I embarked on a research project to look under the hood and see what was driving this in the marketplace.

Our first surprise: much of the research we encountered focused on one asset class—U.S. large-cap equity—with the assumption that the results must be true in every other asset class as well. But, was that conclusion justified? We started looking at studies with a cross-asset class perspective, which led us to several imperatives for advisors determining an active/passive investment strategy.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.fa-mag.com/news/active-and-passive--a-look-under-the-hood-42225.html?print