Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Mutual Funds That Are Bear Market Survivors

FYI: Which stock funds suffer the least damage when the market goes into a bad stretch?
Regards,
Ted
https://www.forbes.com/sites/baldwin/2018/12/03/mutual-funds-bear-market/#388f2c175690

Comments

• Not a bad list - I own PRBLX as the core in my Roth IRA and NSEIX has been a watchlist fave for a while, too.

For a trust that is essentially unmanaged, there is no reason why LEXCX should have such a high ER.

• @rforno
    Voya/ING perhaps being oriented or having a basis leaning towards a full retail priced "insurance company" mindset; causes me to place the company among others as; Ameriprise, Nationwide, etc. Our house does not have or need direct access to such companies for investments; as we're long time customers of Fidelity and the many offerings there.
    The "e.r" for LEXCX is probably in line with other LCV funds and so, the company can get away with the e.r. charge. NOTE: I have not looked at e.r. for a similar category index fund or etf that is passive managed.

Voya

• The LEXCX ER is lower than many LCV funds I believe ... but still, I think it should be lower given how it is structured. I am not looking to buy it, I'm just opining about it b/c it's a somewhat unique fund.
    catch22 said:

@rforno
    Voya/ING perhaps being oriented or having a basis leaning towards a full retail priced "insurance company" mindset; causes me to place the company among others as; Ameriprise, Nationwide, etc. Our house does not have or need direct access to such companies for investments; as we're long time customers of Fidelity and the many offerings there.
    The "e.r" for LEXCX is probably in line with other LCV funds and so, the company can get away with the e.r. charge. NOTE: I have not looked at e.r. for a similar category index fund or etf that is passive managed.

Voya

• @MFO Members Our resident Fidelity cheerleader's favorite expression, " Our House" !
    Regards,
    Ted:)
  • edited December 2018
    Morn'in @Ted
    You continue to have a nice day, too.
    Smiling here, hoping the same for you and yours.
    ADD: last to this, as no context to original post. Apologies to those who wasted their time on this section.
    Sincerely,
    Catch
  • edited December 2018
    I think no bear market survivor list is complete with Yacktman focus fund on it regardless of it's fees being over 1%. Here is an interesting blurb on it https://www.amgfunds.com/content/dam/amgfunds/Perspectives/Shared_PDFs/INS_Yacktman_ManagerForRiskierTimes_INS006.pdf