Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Still mulling the field of foreign small cap growth/blend funds

A couple of years ago, OSMAX raised its fees and the fund was closed. Since then, its manager (and analysts) left suddenly. Here's the thread on the former:
https://mutualfundobserver.com/discuss/discussion/comment/75482

The fund continues to perform admirably, and the replacement manager is excellent. Nevertheless, he is 70, there's no succession plan, and there's still that matter of fees on what is for the space, a jumbo fund. With that in mind, I came up with some alternatives, and thought I'd just toss them out for comments.

Interestingly, a couple of Fidelity funds popped up, and I'm especially curious what people think about them. The management seems stable (Fidelity seems to be improving here).

GISOX (Grandeur Peak seems to be a favorite at MFO), MIDAX (I mentioned in that older post), PRIDX (another seeming favorite here, though closed to new investors), QUSIX (a value fund, unlike the others), and the two Fidelity funds FISMX (blend) and FSCOX (growth). Finally, there is ARTJX, which is where OSMAX's manager Kanovich landed, along with even higher fees.

Comments

• @msf: I have held OSMAX for about 5 years, and am watching both ARTJX and OSMAX to see when to switch over to Artisan, likely after first of year. It usually takes a while for the new portfolios to appear. Following Kanovich, as I like what he did at Oppenheimer. They are held in tax deferred accounts, so not concerned over capital gains as each fund sells some of portfolio in favor of their own picks.
  • edited December 2018
    My international small cap funds holdings are DRIOX, GPIIX and PRIDX (all of which are closed to new investors) in taxable and non-taxable accounts. I still maintain a small position of OSMYX in a Roth account.

@msf,

Too bad FKSCX is closed to new investors. Previously, it was able to be bought for low minimums at one of your favorite under the radar brokerages.
  • Thanks for the thoughts.

I agree (with slick) that it usually takes some time for a new manager to put his own imprint on a fund. Not infrequently the old fund does at least as well as the new fund even after that. A too easy example is PIMCO/Bill Gross. Sometimes, both funds do well (TCW/Gundlach). Wait and see sounds reasonable.

It looks like DRIOX is open (though it is closed at some brokerages, e.g. Vanguard). It's TF at Schwab and Fidelity, and NTF at Merrill Edge. A quick glance shows performance, asset mix (small, growth oriented; fair smattering of EM), and cost 1.23% all adding up to a reasonable candidate. But what is going on with 143% turnover? I haven't looked closely into this yet. The other funds you (shadow) have are closer to 25% turnover.

I do have access to the other two funds (maintaining a small toehold for just such a use), so that's not a concern for me. Though I checked with T. Rowe Price and they will not move a holding in kind from an IRA to a taxable account. So if one is planning to gain access that way, be forewarned.

Out of curiosity, what's your thinking in holding a few different funds in the same space? Personally, I find that if there are two (I try to keep it down to that number) or three that I really can't decide between, I'll put money into all of them. After a few years, either I feel more comfortable with one of them and stick with that one, or still don't find much difference. In that case, I'll say what the heck and just pick one since the choice among them doesn't seem to make a difference.
  • @msf,

Owning DRIOX, PRIDX and GPIIX has allowed me to feel comfortable in the ISC sector as each have performed well at different times with different fund ideologies and different managers. For me, the benefits of owning one will compliment the downside of the other(s).

The turnover in DRIOX is synonymous with Driehaus. Had I not invested in the three, I probably would have lost out on some decent performing ISC funds. Today, I just realized that Driehaus reopened DRIOX unbeknownst to me.
  • >> each have performed well at different times with different fund ideologies and different managers. For me, the benefits of owning one will complement the downside of the other(s).

? Can you elaborate? Looks like marked, overlay-level correlation, for all periods from 7y on in. They do trade leads; is that what you are referring to?
  • It's been a rough ride this year, but I still have faith in BCSVX. Very low turnover reported by M* will result in a total distribution of 4-5 cents. On the other hand, BCSIX will make a much larger distribution this year.
  • edited December 2018
    Some years ago, DRIOX and FKSCX (both of which were closed due to incoming monies) were performing well while PRIDX was somewhat as well as the DRIOX and FKSCX. Over the last couple of years or so (until early 2018 when the international market started to sputter) PRIDX was performing well while DRIOX and FKSCX started to perform mediocre. My point is that while some faltered, my others investments picked up the slack. I didn't invest all my money in one particular fund.

I also owned ARTJX which did well in the very beginning when it was first offered in 2002 with AUM nearing $1B at its peak; however, over the last several years, ARTJX started to perform mediocre. I started to look at other options; hence, PRIDX, DRIOX, and GPIIX. I recently sold my ARTJX due to the fund change as well as the large CG paid. We all know the recent change involving ARTJX.
  • To each one's own. Portfolio visualizer says that these funds have an R² ranging from 76% (DRIOX and GPIIX) to 90% (GPIIX and PRIDX) based on monthly returns. With DRIOX at least, that's not an insignificant degree of differentiation. So I see your point. For me, I'm content waiting for the funds to even out in the long run.

Not really being familiar with Driehaus, I did a little research. Momentum shop. Not my cup of tea - I've invested in a few and found they run hot and cold. Which goes toward explaining their poorer correlation with other funds investing in the same space.

DRIOX has had turnover above 300% (I only looked back five years). While Dick Strong still put that to shame, that turnover rate is still way up there. M* shows, not surprisingly, that this is not a tax efficient fund. So I'd be inclined to use it, if at all, in tax sheltered accounts.

There are various strategies that work. You've obviously found one that works for you. I'm at a point where I'm trying to keep my main funds (i.e. ones other than placeholders) down to a reasonable number, say 20 or so. (Like everything else, "reasonable" is in the eye of the beholder.)
  • There are no perfect funds, which is why I asked about thoughts. Tough year or not, BCSVX is turning in (relatively speaking) outstanding performance. I'm trying to remember why I didn't include this fund in my list. Could be the somewhat high fee (1.5%), or the very concentrated nature of the fund (40% in the top ten holdings).

Some people like this - the concentration, obviously not the fees - but the risk concerns me. On the other hand, throw together three concentrated (and non-overlapping) funds, and I could see building a portfolio like that.
  • @msf: BCSVX is also heavily invested in tech and healthcare, another form of concentration. GISOX has only 15% in small and micro caps, while DRIOX is almost 2/3 in mid caps. It may well be that you'll need two or three funds to do the job.
  • edited December 2018
    @msf,

There is VINEX also as an option.

Regarding BCSVX, maybe the fund was quite new to the scene so you wanted to see how the fund performed since it commenced during 2016?
  • Sounds a bit like BUFTX, which I used to follow. A difference, or a question, is whether BCSVX is focused on those sectors by design, or because that's just where the companies it likes now are found. Though with a 3% turnover, I suppose it doesn't matter - it's not going to be changing any time soon.

I was aware (at least implicitly) about GISOX's bias away from small/micro caps, because until recently M* had classified it as a large cap fund.

Something I've been meaning to do is run X-ray over international funds alone (those I own and those I'm thinking about). Looking at a complete portfolio without separating domestic from foreign can give a misleading impression. More homework, I guess.
  • edited December 2018
    Forgot to mention WAIOX is available.
  • I was weaned from small cap growth/similars in the dot.com bust. Many of the funds mentioned above had 56-70% MaxDraw during 08-09. They seem to sell off first and hardest. In my mind, that statistic alone negates any other positive metrics... particularly this late in the business cycle. But, we all manage our own hard earned $$$ so to each his own.