Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Barry Ritholtz: Donald Trump Owns This Stock Market

FYI: For those looking for an explanation of why the stock market suddenly became tumultuous in the fourth quarter of 2018, you can stop searching: The answer is President Donald Trump.

I don’t say this lightly.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2018-12-10/donald-trump-owns-this-stock-market

Comments

• Except for the bad parts. That's the fault of the democrats or Hillary's emails or whatnot
  • edited December 2018
    Mr. Ritholtz offers valid insights to the market flips.
    He noted: "Now, we see broader signs that global growth is slowing. Corporate profits may have hit a peak. Economies are cyclical, and the U.S. has gone almost a decade without a recession, roughly two times longer than the average interval between slowdowns. That implies we are overdue for a slump. None of the usual signs of an imminent recession are present, but 2020-21 isn’t an unthinkable time line."
    >>>I suggest that part of the equity market sell is relative to the "bold" just above. Superior profits may have run their course for the time being; and that so many companies have issued hugh amounts of bonds to purchase this company or that one.
    Pay off of these bonds against a back drop of slowing profits is not the best forward outlook an investor would desire. I recall, not many decades ago; when some companies had decent debt/equity ratios. Today, not so sure who the few companies may be.
    >>>Secondly, per my recent post of POTUS lying about results of an agreement with China regarding trade and tariffs at the recent G-20 meeting; further provides cause for one to be a bit twitchy about forward equity values as an investor. Also, how are companies expected to plan for further than 4 weeks down their business road with the constant mis-directions emanating from the DC bunch.

• Yes - I’d say the Prez has the markets smocking.