Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Customer’s Yachts

MJG
edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
Hi Guys,

It’s been a long time since Fred Schwed Jr. asked the intriguing question in his 1940s groundbreaking book “Where Are the Customer’s Yachts?” The book is constantly reissued.

With a few notable exceptions, you folks have mostly answered that question with a do-it-yourself policy. You reward yourself with the trophy yacht if you are a prudent, informed, cost containment, and somewhat lucky investor. Keeping with the nautical analogy, you will either sink or swim based on your investment decision making wisdom.

Following in the Yacht tradition, I recently discovered an insightful and fun poem that addresses this same issue. For your entertainment, I post it here. Enjoy.

My Friend the Broker

I kept my dough in a safe C.D.
Until this broker called on me.
He had some red hot stocks to sell,
And now he's doing very well.

He taught me real investor smarts
Like head and shoulders on the charts.
I learned all sorts of fine techniques,
But still I'm buying at the peaks.

I tried some bets on shopping malls;
I played the options - puts and calls;
The dough is going quick and snappy;
My friend the broker seems quite happy.

To recoup my losses, if you please,
He put me in commodities.
I bought contracts in corn and beans;
I should have cranked on slot machines.

My bank account is now too thin
For me to trade the Honda in.
I've had it since the early Eighties;
My friend just bought a new Mercedes.

by William F. Hummel

I can sense the smile on your faces, and feel your satisfaction with knowing that you are doing a good and independent job.

I wish all your stresses vanish with that smile and with the knowledge that you are in control.

Best Regards.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Here is a view of "Our Funds Boat". Not much top speed, but a lot of torque for heavy portfolio work. The good old boat is also able to take a lot of beating and banging without much damage. It won't win any boating beauty contests; but that was never the intention.

Regards,
    Catch
  • beebee
    edited December 2012
    The common man is often more concerned with what's hidden in the fog: