Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• Anna December 2012
  • bee December 2012
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

ICI, December 5, 2012 Retirement Analysis

edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
ICI December 5, 2012 Retirement Analysis An internal linked report is within the first, full paragraph, of this shorter report; and offers a lot of interesting data.

Pyramid data shown in the short page report, is from 2006. I would like to see current data for any shifts in areas.

Comments

• beebee
    edited December 2012
    Thanks Catch,

I actually like both models...legs on a stool as well as this pyramid...As I approached and considered the concept of early retirement I found it helpful to run a lot of different financial and lifestyle iterations. My world view was never limited by career goals. Family, education, and personal interests now fill more of my day...the boss is now a four legged best friend. The money piece needs a lifetime of attention but the idea of a different set of priorities (not what someone would consider work) has always been a part of my thought process.

The pyramid model shows just how much the lower teir of retirees rely mainly on SS...by the way, the SS trust fund is one of the few solvent retirement systems around...City and State retirement systems often pale in comparison.

I ended up pulling up the full pdf report and it discusses Medicare and Medicaid but not private insurance. Even so it doesn't look like they include medical as either a cost or an asset. Can any of you tell whether medical expenses and insurance (insurance in general including LTC) are part of these pyramids?