Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• hank December 2018
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments from the experts with their thoughts on how to position for 2019

edited December 2018 in Off-Topic
In the below linked article here is what a good number of the major investment firms have to say about anticaped market returns for 2019 and their thoughts on how to position a portfolio. The firms making comment are Fidelity Investments, American Funds, Invesco, DoubleLine Capital, Blackrock, Pimco, T Rowe Price, Vanguard, Charles Schwab & Loomis Sayles.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-12-29/blackrock-capital-group-and-pimco-managers-warn-of-2019-risks

The new funds that I have added to my portfolio during the month of December that key on the above expressed thoughts by some of the article's experts follow below. They are listed by their investment sleeve along with their area of investment within my portfolio.

Income Area: Income Sleeve: PONAX

Growth & Income Area: Domestic Equity Sleeve: INUTX ... Global Equity Sleeve: DWGAX ... Global Hybrid Sleeve: TEQIX

With my movement to make my portfolio more income oriented for every new dollar invested in the growth & income area or growth area there is two to three dollars invested in the income area.

Comments

• edited December 2018
    I’ve found T. Rowe (mentioned in the article) pretty good at understanding / forseeing the very long-term macro trends. Problem is, most of us (self included) have the attention span of a Tsetse Fly. So, if a fund or investment doesn’t work out for us over one or two years we’re likely to dump it and move on.

When T. Rowe talks, they’re often (but not always) looking out anywhere from 3 to 10 years. Maybe there’s something to be said for ignoring the noise and letting one or a couple good managers have your money long-term through thick and thin.

I do think Gundlatch is “right” a lot more often than he’s wrong. He seems particularity perceptive re the nearer term trends. Sounds very cautious. Price’s Stromberg sees value in EM. But again - that doesn’t mean they’re going to pay off next week or next month.