Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

It's Time for a Change

http://funds-newsletter.com/jan19-newsletter/jan19.htm

By Tom Madell

Down through almost 20 years, my Newsletter has tried to be about just one main thing: helping readers pick the best mutual funds, and more recently, ETFs. I have tried to avoid detailed discussion of economics, and have usually been leery of making market predictions. But all efforts to steer investors toward what I concluded were likely the best investments and fund categories to select for the next several years were, in reality, implicit predictions.

Comments

• A couple interesting excerpts I took away from the article (some may not like the 1st one, but I totally agree with Madell even if it hurts short-term:
    Should The Fed Have Raised Rates?
    It would have been a bad precedent to halt restoring normalcy just to sooth stock market investors. Likewise, the Fed wouldn't want to give the appearance of being pressured by the President. Given that the Fed is supposed to be a totally independent body, recent Presidents have rarely publically tried to influence it, and so the Chairperson said, totally properly, they would not be influenced by "politics."
    Bull or Bear? What to Do as We Enter 2019?
    I personally am not selling any stocks, having done so already for the last several years. I believe in the adage - sell stocks when prices are high, and by the same token, buy when prices are low. While prices are lower than they have been for a while, they are not low enough for me to be tempted to buy.