Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

No, You Almost Certainly Can’t Time Markets

FYI: A recently published paper from Willis Investment Counsel, an advisory firm in Gainesville, Georgia, argued that investors lose 1 to 2 percent in annual returns from attempting to time the market. Willis studied timing leakage — the difference between the theoretical return of a fund or portfolio compared to what an investor actually earns. Investors time the market when they don’t give a particular strategy enough time to work out; they overreact to volatility or other news; or they succumb to an irrational need to act and shift their portfolios, as per the study’s definition.
Regards,
Ted
https://www.institutionalinvestor.com/article/b1ck6rht2kz8x1/No-You-Almost-Certainly-Can-t-Time-Markets

Comments

• This is a very informative article Ted. thanks very much. I have to admit that I'm guilty of this myself.