Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Government Shutdown 2019 - Latest Updates

edited January 2019 in Off-Topic
Running summary of pertinent issues. (Notice they’ve temporarily reopened the office that processes payments to farmers for not growing anything.)

https://www.politico.com/latest-news-updates/government-shutdown-2018

Comments

• You have to feel for the govt workers who are in a terrible, helpless position. My brother in law is effected, so it hits home.

The only silver lining is that I am watching Donnie's approval ratings slip each day - down below 40% today, per FiveThirtyEight. Nancy Pelosi has larger cajones than any other politician on the hill. God Bless her.

• I was wondering if Federal employees who are furloughed receive unemployment, and I think they do. I hope they do. Maybe it might be different state to state.

This really has become a national disgrace though not surprising given the countries chaotic leadership. People get the leaders they deserve. We deserve better. The painful part is we'll just have to wait for change to run it's course.
  • Texas has received more than 2,900 claims from federal workers since the shutdown began on Dec. 22, while Ohio is approaching 700. Kansas reported 445 filings, and Alabama was closing in on 500. Montana said it had logged almost 1,500.

But those may only be the beginning. About 380,000 furloughed federal workers are eligible for benefits. ...

The Labor Department and many employment lawyers say that filing a claim now is not an option for all of the roughly 420,000 federal employees who are “essential” and are working without pay during the partial shutdown.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/us/shutdown-unemployment-states.html

Keep in mind that states generally require people collecting UI to actively seek work, e.g. Idaho:
    Q. Do I have to look for work if I file for unemployment benefits?

A. Yes. If you do not have a definite return to full-time work date, you must look for a job and make at least two job contacts per week. Keep a record of your contacts.
    https://idahoatwork.com/2018/12/22/unemployment-insurance-benefits-information-for-furloughed-federal-workers-2/

But that would be contrary to the government's statement that furloughed workers should consider it a free vacation.
    https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2019/01/white-house-to-furloughed-workers-consider-it-a-free-vacation
    (I trust a sarcasm tag here would be superfluous.)
  • Howdy,

Seems that if you're OFF you can file for UI. However, the stickler is if you're forced to work w/o pay, you are not eligible. duh. Our new dem gov is challenging this with the feds.

I had three 'furloughs' during my 30 years in state gov with the DOT. Most often they entailed a 10% reduction in pay w/o a reduction in hours. I was made whole in two of the occasions. Personally, I always felt that 90% of a job was better than No job. However, we had two incomes and savings and I was still getting 90%. These peeps are receiving ZERO. UI pays approximately 75% which supposedly equates to your approximate 'take home pay'. Also, for any of you folks that have actually filed for and collected UI . . . it takes a while to get your first check so it's not as if it's the cavalry coming to the rescue.

And so it goes,

peace,

rono
  • I suppose rules are different per state. I filed for UI back in 2015 after getting furloughed from a job. Had to wait I think 2 weeks before being eligible (not paid for those 2 weeks). Can't remember what the weekly payment was, but it wasn't much.

I Googled NYS and got this.
    The New York State Department of Labor (NYSDOL) determines your weekly unemployment benefit amount by dividing your earnings for the highest paid quarter of the base period by 26, up to a maximum of $420 per week.
    Effective the first Monday of October 2018, the maximum benefit rate increased to $450.
  • Most states, I believe, have a waiting period. Mass. max weekly is just under $800.