Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

The 6 Best Vanguard Index Funds for 2019 and Beyond

https://www.kiplinger.com/slideshow/investing/T030-S001-6-best-vanguard-index-funds-for-2019-and-beyond/index.html

Investing icon Warren Buffett advises investors to stash 90% of their money in a Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index fund and keep the rest in short-term government bonds. That’s a good start for investors who want to keep things simple, but it limits your investments to large U.S. companies. So today, we’ll show you how the best Vanguard index funds can add more portfolio diversification while still keeping your strategy simple.

Comments

• edited January 2019
    As an aside, a pretty well diversified low volatility (OMG), managed (OMG) fund, VMVFX beats all of the listed funds since its inception except one. The exception is barely being beat out by the SP500 fund. I realize one of the funds is a bond fund. So, what makes those funds so great for 2019?
  • edited January 2019
    “Investing icon Warren Buffett advises investors to stash 90% of their money in a Standard & Poor’s 500-stock index fund and keep the rest in short-term government bonds.”

Anybody know what degree of truth this statement attributed to Buffet holds? I was aware that he shifted all or most of his retirement funds to something like that nearly a decade ago, in part, because he wanted to simplify things for his wife to manage after his death.

If Buffet made such a statement directed at all investors (1) I’m not aware of it and (2) it would be preposterous advice because each individual’s situation is unique. If I had 90% of my retirement savings in the S&P 500 I’d be always on “pins & needles”, unable to sleep and, perhaps, standing out on a NYC ledge during one of those single-day thousand-point dips in the Dow.

Back to Buffet - When people have amassed mega-millions it sometimes causes them to invest / view risk differently than most of us small-fry. Some avoid the risk of stocks completely and move into bonds, thinking they can survive the remainder of their lives on what they already have. Others, like Buffet, are content to go with the averages and remain heavily invested in equities.
  • hank +1
    Derf