Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Consuelo Mack's WealthTrack : Guest: David Giroux, Manager, TRP Appreciation Fund: (PRWCX)

FYI: (Fund is closed to new investors.)
In a WEALTHTRACK exclusive, 5-star manager David Giroux explains why more companies’ businesses are at risk.
Regards,
Ted
https://wealthtrack.com/david-giroux-on-growing-secular-risks-in-companies-exclusive-with-fund-manager-of-year-winner/

M* Snapshot PRWCX:
https://www.morningstar.com/funds/xnas/prwcx/quote.html

Lipper Snapshot PRWCX:
https://www.marketwatch.com/investing/fund/prwcx

PRWCX Is Ranked #19 In The (50-70/% E) Fund Category By U.S. News & World Report:
https://money.usnews.com/funds/mutual-funds/allocation-50-to-70-equity/t-rowe-price-capital-appreciation-fund/prwcx

Comments

• Excellent interview from one of my favorite fund manager.
  • edited January 2019
    Interesting that DG's 'one investment' was GE, calling it a $20 stock eventually.

• I was actually surprised he said that. I've been toying with buying some GE LEAPS in my Roth and just let them sit there for the next few years to play on the potential recovery/restructuring.
    AndyJ said:

Interesting that DG's 'one investment' was GE, calling it a $20 stock eventually.

• edited January 2019
    Thanks @Ted - An informative discussion.

Some take-aways:

- Reminds me a lot of Peter Lynch 30 years ago. Both are / were more concerned about product, and much less so with price performance, technical indicators or indexes.

- Loved his comment: “There are good active managers and there are bad active managers.”

- Repeated reference to autonomous driving. My Accord has “level 1” capability which allows it to self-steer, provided it can discern a clearly marked center line. Biggest problem is it cannot tell smooth portions of a roadway from the pot-holed and broken-up areas. To be able to steer around those (endemic on our local roads) I often have to turn it off. Only mention it because I’m wondering how the designers will work around that issue?

- Nothing surprising about T. Rowe. After 25+ years, I know them to be excellent at sorting out the macro trends.

- On GE, if you’re familiar with Arthur Miller you’ll recall Willy Loman also held them in high esteem. Hearing his Hastings refrigerator had broken again ...

“I told you we should’ve bought a well-advertised machine. Charley bought
    a General Electric and it’s twenty years old and it’s still good, that son-of-a-
    bitch ... Whoever heard of a Hastings refrigerator?”
    (Death of a Salesman - Act 2 )

Couple disappointments:

- Little if any discussion of fixed income.

- Mack’s lead-in suggested some bearishness on Giroux’s part. But I didn’t sense that. I’d say he’s very macro oriented and bearish on some big names while being positive on others - depending largely on sector.
  • edited January 2019
    I was surprised too, but then I don't keep up with, at best, more than a couple of individual companies at any one time. With GE, though, I'm under the impression that their renewables (division? subsidiary? whatever it is) is pretty well positioned, globally, especially in wind tech. Not sure how much of the portfolio that'll be once the dust settles, tho.

Seems like it would be, at the very least, worth considering something like you're thinking about.
    rforno said:

I was actually surprised he said that. I've been toying with buying some GE LEAPS in my Roth and just let them sit there for the next few years to play on the potential recovery/restructuring.

AndyJ said:

• Interesting that he is much more macro driven while having a thorough understanding on how technology may benefit future investment opportunities. Examples include machine learning and AI (Google and Amazon). As for GE I think it needs to breakup their business units so that they can move forward. Also timing to trim his utility holding couldn't be better.
  • @hank: my great uncle (d. 1950's) owned a still-running GE refrigerator that was so old it earned him recognition from the company. I recall it sitting on legs an having a round refrigeration coil on top. It kept on running despite his demise.
  • BenWP said:

@hank: my great uncle (d. 1950's) owned a still-running GE refrigerator that was so old it earned him recognition from the company. I recall it sitting on legs an having a round refrigeration coil on top. It kept on running despite his demise.

Ah, the good old days before appliances were smart enough to retire themselves early.