Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Lipper: U.S. Weekly FundFlows Insight Report: Funds Suffer Net Outflows Driven By Money Market Funds

FYI: Lipper’s fund asset groups (including both mutual funds and ETFs) experienced net outflows of $14.2 billion for the fund-flows trading week ended Wednesday, January 16. Money market funds (-$15.0 billion) were responsible for the majority of the net negative flows as investors put money back to work. Equity funds (-$4.4 billion) also contributed to the overall net outflows, while taxable bond funds and municipal debt funds had net inflows of $4.3 billion and $946 million, respectively.
Regards,
Ted

Comments

• wack sense of 'driven' in hed
  • edited January 2019
    Perhaps, this money movement is driven in good part due to electronic trading systems with their repositioning of "hot" money. It will be interesting to see if fourth quarter corporate earnings and forward revenue projections can continue to support (and perhaps lift) current stock prices. It will also be interesting to see where the "hot" money flows during this week and if the electronic trading systems continue to buy stocks or if they begin to sell "booking some profit" thus driving stock prices lower.

By the way ... Old_Skeet's stock market barometer that follows the S&P 500 Index based upon its metrics scores the Index as being in fair value on the barometer's scale as of Friday's market close of 1/18/2019. With this, I'm thinking earnings are going to have to surprise to the upside with strong forward revenue projections for the Index to continue to move higher and move through the technical resistance levels. Otherwise, stock market volatility will be back in vogue.

Have a great day ... and, I wish all "Good Investing."

Old_Skeet
  • edited January 2019
    Old_Skeet said:

Perhaps, this money movement is driven in good part due to electronic trading systems with their repositioning of "hot" money.

When I think of “fund flows” I envision small investors entering relatively small exchanges on tablet devices or laptops. However, if the Lipper figures include institutional money funds that would paint a different picture. Unfortunately, the phantom article doesn’t say whether these numbers include institutional class funds.

Personally, my allocation hasn’t changed since last June when I moved to a more conservative approach due to age. At year’s end the “balanced” (equity rich) portion had dipped to its minimal 38%. It has since moved up to near 39%. (40% is target weight). “Real assets” adds another 10% of equity-like exposure. That area has done very well this year.

I try hard not to make decisions related to all the noise. Just hew to a simple model and rebalance quarterly - but only if an area comes in well outside the pre-sets. It’s what I know best.