Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

As World and Stock Markets Remain Very Dangerous, 4 Top Gold Stocks to Buy Now

https://247wallst.com/commodities-metals/2019/01/24/as-world-and-stock-markets-remain-very-dangerous-4-top-gold-stocks-to-buy-now/

By Lee Jackson January 24, 2019 8:25 am EST
Print
Email

Very quietly, gold and the gold miners consistently have pushed higher. Though naysayers constantly bemoan the fact that the precious metal offers no earnings potential, it does offer a safe store of value and always has.

The SPDR Gold Shares ETF (NYSE: GLD) is up over 7% over the past four months, after being hammered for almost half of last year. For sure the massive fourth-quarter sell-off sparked some of the buying, but a cauldron of political issues at home, combined with trade conflicts and geopolitical hot-spots abroad, have kept investors nervous, and with good reason.

Comments

• Gold did well in December when stocks were plummeting, but the trend up has paused in January as stocks have reclaimed some of their loss. I bought a little IAU in Dec and a little more at the start of Jan. I expect a rocky 2019 political road so I'm still thinking it isn't a bad place to build a hedge, fwiw.
  • edited January 2019
    MikeM said:

I expect a rocky 2019 political road ...

You mean it’s going to get even rockier than this?

R/F - “Before I built a wall ...”