Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• Mark January 2019
  • Ted January 2019
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Michael Batnick: The Single Greatest Error

FYI: A reader asks, “As an investor, how should I view the correlation between being bullish on the product and being bullish on the stock?”

The idea that you should buy what you know goes something like this- “I cannot believe how much money I spend at Costco. Hey wait a minute, why don’t I buy some stock in this company?”

This line of thinking was made famous by Peter Lynch, the former head of Fidelity’s Magellan Fund. Lynch, however, said this concept was taken out of context and oversimplified. He told the Wall Street Journal, “I’ve never said, If you go to a mall, see a Starbucks and say it’s good coffee, you should call Fidelity brokerage and buy the stock.”
Regards,
Ted