Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Palm Valley Capital Fund in registration

Dear friends,

In an interesting development, Eric Cinnamond (ex of Intrepid Endurance ICMAX and Aston/RiverRoad Independent Value ARIVX) and Jayme Wiggins (ex of Intrepid Endurance ICMAX) are joining forces to launch the Palm Valley Capital Fund. A small cap absolute value fund. 1.25% expenses (undercutting ICMAX on price), $2,500 minimum. ICMAX has a cluttered manager history with both guys on the fund from 2005-08, then Wiggins leaving in 08, Cinnamond leaving in '10, Wiggins returning in '10 and leaving in '18. Mark Travis, the firm's founder, helped manage the fund from 2005-17, left, then returned for about four months after Mr. Wiggins' sort of sudden departure. ICMAX is now managed by three guys who I don't particularly know.

Messrs Cinnamond and Wiggins are both excellent stock pickers, a fact mostly masked by their absolute value orientation. At base, absolute value investors believe that stocks are sometimes insanely profitable but are always insanely risky. The only rational time to buy is when you can buy them at a 50% discount to what they're worth. In most markets, there are dozens of stocks, especially the stocks of tiny firms, that are massively undervalued. In part of every market cycle, though, such bargains disappear as momentum investors and froth fiends pile in. When that happens, absolute value guys run out of stuff to buy and begin building cash. Later still, their holdings become uncomfortably expensive (that is, risky) and get sold one by one; if there's nothing to replace them, cash builds further. Somewhere in there investors with short memories are seized by FOMO and flee from the absolute value funds to the funds that have made the most profit during the market's frothy phase. Somewhere thereafter, the market collapses, the folks in the riskiest funds get burned the most badly and the absolute value investors make a mint for their remaining investors. Shortly thereafter, panicked people fleeing the high growth funds rush in the door, assets soar and the cycle begins anew.

Market cycles usually run around seven years, but the intervention that probably saved the economy in 2008 kept market valuations from plumbing their normal bear market lows and a decade of effectively zero interest rates have prolonged the current one. As a result, absolute value guys were holding historic levels of cash for historic periods; in consequence, they became historically unpopular. In 2016, Mr. Cinnamond decided to liquidate ARIVX which was sitting at about 90% cash; his argument was that he didn't see an immediate prospect for a return to normal valuations and he wasn't willing to indefinitely charge his investors equity fund fees for something close to a money market. In 2018, for reasons not made public, Mr. Wiggins left ICMAX which was sitting at about 85% cash.

The launch of Palm Valley, likely at the end of April, raises interesting questions (what led the managers to decide that this was the time to beginning raising capital which will only be useful after a really substantial correction?) and will offer a really interesting opportunity for small cap investors who are intensely aware of the need to manage the enormous extremes of such stocks.

https://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1650149/000089418919000884/spt-palm_485a.htm

David

Comments

• edited February 2019
    He has been writing a blog called "Absolute Return Investing" :

http://www.ericcinnamond.com/

• Thanks for the link, good sir! Eric's work is a bit wonky for me but does give you a sense of the care in his analysis.

David
  • At current valuations what's to say that this new fund won't end up being just another repository for a large cash stake?
  • @Mark, I have the same question. I was an ARIVX investor and was rather PO'd when he liquidated the fund. Fortunately FMIMX opened around the same time. I'm wondering why this environment is any better for them? QRSVX may be a better option in this space.
  • @ MFO Members: A couple of my views !
    1. We need another mutual fund like a hole in the head:
    2. Especially one managed by Eric Cinnamond king of holding cash