Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Gundlach: Last year's market selloff was just a 'taste of things to come'

edited February 2019 in Fund Discussions
This 10 minute video reviews some of Gundlach's major market calls, his new fund offerings, the recent stock market selloff, parallels between market conditions now and market conditions a decade ago, and why he thinks now is a good time to buy two year treasuries rather than US stocks or corporate bonds.....
"A bear market has nothing to do with this 20% arbitrary thing," Gundlach, the CEO of $121 billion DoubleLine Capital, told Yahoo Finance in an exclusive interview. "It has to do with something crazy happening first, and then the crazy thing gives it up. And yet more traditional things continue to march on. But one by one they give it up."
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/gundlach-last-years-market-selloff-was-just-a-taste-of-things-to-come-133019690.html

Comments

• Personally, I think bond gurus should stick to their cooking rather than predicting stock market returns and crashes. If nothing else, they have a vested interest in steering investors away from stocks and into bonds. They also tend to have poor records forecasting stock returns. Gundlach’s bond returns in themselves have been nothing to brag about in recent years.
  • I like listening to the bond king but Mr G was wrong so many times, it's embarrassing...and he was wrong about bonds too because nobody can predict what markets will do in the next 3-6 months. His biggest dare prediction is for the 10 year treasury to be at 6% by 2020-1(link), I predict he will be way off.