Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Fund Inflows/Outflows - More of the Same

edited December 2012 in Fund Discussions
http://ici.org/research/stats/flows/flows_12_12_12

Equity funds had estimated outflows of $7.16 billion for the week, compared to estimated outflows of $627 million in the previous week. Domestic equity funds had estimated outflows of $5.84 billion, while estimated outflows from world equity funds were $1.32 billion.

Bond funds had estimated inflows of $5.23 billion, compared to estimated inflows of $4.25 billion during the previous week. Taxable bond funds saw estimated inflows of $4.15 billion, while municipal bond funds had estimated inflows of $1.07 billion.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Yes, trend continues.

But to help put in perspective, I believe there is something like $18 Trillion in US equities, and $36 Trillion in equities invested world wide.

As for US bond investment:
    According to SIFMA, the total value of all outstanding US Bonds was $36.9 Trillion at the end of the 1st quarter of 2012.  That's somewhere around twice the size of the market capitalization of all US Publicly traded companies.
    These flows while large in absolute terms, seem fairly insignificant compared to relative investment, no?
  • I suppose I'm something of a contrarian in this regard? In '12, I put max allowed into Trad. IRA with MSCFX and MAPOX. (MAPOX being a BALANCED fund with two-thirds stocks and one-third bonds) and equal amounts into DLFNX and SFGIX. If I'm not mistaken, looking at the data, SFGIX has done rather well. MSCFX and MAPOX have zoomed up lately, until VERY recently, in the shadow of the lovely "fiscal cliff." I'm not unhappy with my selections.
  • Reply to @Charles: Excellent point, and one that (at least in my experience) is always (not just "almost" always) missing from fund flow articles.