Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Worried about Wasatch

edited December 2012 in Fund Discussions
Wasatch seems to be going the way of Royce. They close funds sometimes, reopen them, close others, launch newer, similar funds.

Recently they closed Wasatch Emerging Market Small Cap (WAEMX). Now WTF are they doing opening Wasatch Emerging Markets Select (WAESX). Sounds to me they are not interested in retirement of their shareholders, but instead have a plan to fund their own retirement plans.

I'm inclined to simply bail and run.

Comments

• In fact, once they closed WAEMX, they opened WAFMX, so WAESX is the third such fund now. But one should admit that the previous two are quite impressive. WAFMX may become very volatile when the frontier markets go under, but I invested in it when it opened, a year ago, and I am quite happy that I did it, so far...
  • My point is they seem to be opening a fund for every single strategy slice of WAIGX. Reminds me of an investment manager whose name I forget, who when ETF mania first hit the markets opened various Healthcare Sector ETFs like one for heart, one for lung, one for brain, etc.

Do Wasatch investors REALLY need this kind of choice? Small, Mid, Large followed by SMID is bad enough. What's next? WTFEX - Wasatch Frontier Energy Fund? Or maybe more aptly WTF fund?