Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

David: MFO Podcast Channel on iTunes

edited December 2012 in Fund Discussions
David, would you consider starting a podcast channel for MFO at iTunes. You could make the interviews/conf. calls available through this channel and it would also bring another potential exposure for MFO.

Comments

• I'd certainly consider it. My touchstones for evaluating new projects are (1) valuable and (2) sustainable. If I think things are both, I'll give them a try. So I'm likely to start onsite and try to track interest (e.g., the number of folks who click). By January 1, we'll have six audiofiles - three conference calls and three profiles. If we get through January and it looks like folks are interested and interesting managers remain willing to talk, I'd be happy to ask chip and her folks to see what it would take.

Let me know if you think I'm missing something in how I'm thinking this through.

As ever,

David
  • edited December 2012
    Publishing podcast on iTunes is not so much more involved than hosting the mp3 files and providing an rss feed for them. This site already provides RSS feed for the forum.

Here is one page that describes the process of creating a podcast and publishing it on iTunes.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/articles/comments/beginners-guide-to-podcast-creation/

Basically you host your mp3 files somewhere (on your site) and create an RSS feed for that. RSS feed url is the published on iTunes. Once your feed is ready the next step is actually simple. You need a few iTunes Store specific tags etc. for your feed and mp3 files.

Here is the how to document from Apple for technical details:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/podcasts/specs.html

Once the system is setup and tested, publishing new episodes etc. is basically updating your RSS feed with new episode and link to audio file. This is basically on your own site. Basically iTunes podcasts page is a searchable portal of RSS feeds ( a federation of RSS feeds)