Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Cliff notes"

edited December 2012 in Off-Topic
The GOP mutinied last night. No vote on "Plan B." "See you after Christmas," said uncle Eric. Naturally, Mr. Market will be in a tizzy and want to panic-sell today. I understand it's happened in Asia and Europe already.I think former VT Gov. Dean is right: going OVER the cliff would be best in the LONG run. Any other so-called plan or compromise won't produce the revenue necessary to truly take steps to dig us out of the monstrous hole that's been dug.

Comments

• Hi Max,

Yes, these events in the news will be sure to push the markets around in the short term.

Even with no action on the cliff in Washington revenues will increase through increased taxes back to about where they were when Clinton was President ... and, spending cuts will automatically take place.

So what's the big deal ... "Politics!"

Good Investing,
    Skeeter

• edited December 2012
    Yea, Max, I agree. So MFO, let's all join hands and sing:
    http://dannyschmidt.com/lyr_cliffsongLGS.html
    CLIFF SONG

A part of her lives in a room in her head
    And part of her lives wild in the woods
    I wanted to make love to both parts at once
    But a part of me knew that I never could

Chorus:
    But Cosima says we're too close to the edge
    I can't help but be scared when she's scared
    But she also agrees it's a beautiful scene
    Life's valley through the mist and the fears
    And life, oh life -- it sure looks alive from here.

I showed her her name engraved on my heart
    She said there must be some mistake
    I tried to invite myself into her room
    But there were things that she was scared I would break

Chorus

We sang our song softly together
    She swayed to the guitar I'd strum
    But she was scared that her life might go dancing away
    If three hearts all started to drum

Chorus

Well fear ain't nothing -- it's falling that's real
    And to let the fear rule you's a shame
    Cause dreams and memories can't warm me at night
    And hugging pillows just ain't the same

Chorus

Copyright 2007. Words and music by Danny Schmidt

Well, I couldn't find a link to the music so we will have to make do with::

Danny Schmidt "This too shall pass"
  • edited December 2012
    opps
  • edited December 2012
    I was watching futures last night and they were down about 5. I then refreshed a few minutes later and they were down 180 (and that was after they'd rebounded from a much lower level). What I find remarkable is that the market seemed to believe there'd be a deal. I'm actually not (entirely) displeased, as I sold a stock yesterday and am looking for opportunities to add to positions. My focus remains hard assets - things like Glencore, Brookfield Infrastructure and Kinder Morgan.
  • Yes scott, I wish the entire thing would dump, drown in a bath tub, flush and wring out. Of course, I have too much cash at the moment so I'm a bit biased.
  • I like the music, Anna. Reminds me of Geo. Harrison's "All Things Must Pass." Any cash I have in the portfolio is being held by the Managers of the funds I own. I'm all-in. And since I continue to hang onto a long-range investing time-horizon, I do not panic or lose sleep. My positions are where I want them in terms of geography, market sectors and bonds. I'm about 50/50 with stock-bond funds. As for The Secret To Life, here's my offering for today. VERY off-topic:

LYRICS: http://danbern.redacorn.net/lyrics/jerusalem.html
    The song:
  • Reply to @MaxBialystock:

Chuckle - that's good December 21,2012 music.