Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Which fund (that you own) disappointed you the most in 2012?

edited December 2012 in Fund Discussions
Greetings MFO's,

As the end of 2012 quickly approaches - now that the world did not end today - I was reflecting on my mutual fund holdings. Many of the funds pleasantly surprised me such as PIMIX, FPIVX, GPIOX ... But I found myself being consistently drawn to a fund in my portfolio that disappointed me the most.

Now when I say disappointed, I don't mean that its returns were bad or negative, but just that I expected so much more based on the expertise and skill of the portfolio manager. Perhaps, and most likely, my expectations were not realistic and I have no one to blame but myself.

And so the fund that disappointed me the most (that I own) in 2012 is ARIVX. While carrying 50% of the portfolio in cash throughout the year, the fund missed out on so much upside. I know that this frustrated the heck out of the manager, Eric Cinnamond, and I empathize with him. But at the same time, 2012 was an opportunity lost in the small cap value space of my portfolio.

So let me ask the MFO community: Which fund disappointed you the most in 2012 and why?

Mike_E

P.S. Thank you David for your great dedication and sacrifice in making this one of the best websites on investing.

Comments

• edited December 2012
    Janus Overseas (JAOSX). Small position - an admitted attempt to bet on the fund turning things around. While it's done better recently, a number of disappointments with the concentrated fund's core holdings has me selling into strength. Thankfully not a large position, but disappointing, nonetheless.

In terms of stocks, a disappointment was Vodafone (VOD), as well as Glencore (GLCNF.PK). Glencore is a long-term holding and I've added recently (and I'd add more if given another opportunity to do so.)
  • Not just for 2012 but for the past three years, and not just a single fund but a whole management company: Perkins, Wolf, McDonnell.

Janus acquired a majority stake in 2008 (prior to that it had held 30%), and started marketing the heck out of Perkins - relabeling funds, launching new funds, etc. And performance dropped into bottom quarter by 2010. Perkins did manage top half performance in 2011, and they manage funds conservatively, but in a good year like 2012, one still hopes they don't lag so far behind as to make long term investing with them futile.

Perkins had been one of the few, or only, bright spots for Janus.
  • Reply to @msf: That's too bad, as - like you said - they were considered by many to be one of the few things Janus had going for it.
  • In addition to ARIVX, IVA Worldwide IVWIX performed miserably within it's class. I think poor stock selection along with the gold position dragged it down. I'm thinking seriously about folding up the tent on both of these.
  • ARIVX did not dissapoint me. CGMFX did.
  • Poor performance of PRPFX resulted in me selling the entire position today. To be fair the fund has a static allocation but actively managed stock portfolio portion failed to cover up for underperformance in gold/silver and bond portfolios.

Now that I sold it, gold silver can again start to outperform again:)
  • Though I bought-in only as late as September: DLFNX. But all things are relative, eh? I'm only disappointed in this case cuz my other funds lived up to expectations or exceeded them. Once again: here's my others, NOT in any particular order:
    PREMX TRAMX SFGIX MAINX MACSX MAPIX MAPOX and MSCFX.
  • Reply to @VintageFreak: and what do you know.. out of 20 names heebner owns, one is herbalife.
  • edited December 2012
    Reply to @fundalarm: Yep - I noticed that earlier, as well. I like how Herbalife is called a "multi-level marketing" company. lol - what a term.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramid_scheme#Connection_to_multi-level_marketing

CGM Focus is one of the top fund holders of HLF.
    http://finance.yahoo.com/q/mh?s=HLF+Major+Holders
  • MPEGX..rated GOLD by Morning*. i owned the fund since the crisis and have done well. but i couldn't forgive them having a chunk in Groupon and riding the thing all the way down. i sold it all a month ago.
  • edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply to @fundalarm: Now that's a blast from the past. I haven't followed it since Armstrong left (a few years after Morgan Stanley acquired Miller, Anderson & Sherrerd - MAS). Good fund with Armstrong, don't know about it more recently (it also seemed to get a lot harder to own under Morgan Stanley).
  • I'm withholding judgment on ARIVX for the time being. On the one hand, it's performing more or less as expected, and I do not have any problem with the manger's assessment that stocks are overvalued. On the other hand, PVFIX, another small-cap fund that held 50% cash at the beginning of the year (now down to 36%), is up 18% YTD. Might be because of its significant overweighting of financial companies, which is notably absent in ARIVX's portfolio.

Appleseed Fund APPLX / APPIX is another more conservative fund that is performing "as expected." It seemed to be lagging earlier in the year but has since caught up somewhat because of better resilience to volatility. Again, not a disappointment but one that I will continue to monitor.

I sold FAIRX fairly early in the year but do not have sellers remorse over it. No need to be greedy.
  • My two disappointments were RSEMX (Royce Special Equity Multi-Cap) and CIPSX (Champlain Small Company). Other members have spoken about Royce's trying to put its thumb in every pie these days. I have now severed all ties with them. CIPSX did not benefit the shareholders from closing the fund a while back and became tax-inefficient and a middling performer. Good one to sell this year, IMHO.
  • edited December 2012
    I'm in the "mildly disappointed with ARIVX" camp, but not planning to sell. I probably will sell DBLFX in favor of PIGIX, and did sell my whole substantial chunk in VWIAX. I've put the Wellesley proceeds, in similar stock-bond proportion, into other funds I already own ... performance of the latter over most time periods is now significantly better, and the investment-grade corps Wellesley specializes in have probably appreciated about all they're going to for now, imho.

Can't say I'm really disappointed with any fund I've owned in the past year, though.

Edit: in case anyone notices a discrepancy between selling a fund partly because it's mostly IG corporate (VWIAX), and buying a fund named Investment Grade Corporate (PIGIX), check out the PIGIX holdings ... the fund isn't what the name implies.
  • Lost confidence on IVA Worldwide, IVWIX with respect to its stock selection and replaced it with Pimco Income Builder, PQIIX, which has done better so far.
  • Reply to @Investor: Not sold on gold/silver as a long term vehicle, I exited the entire position of PRPFX last year. A plain vanilla, low cost investment grade bond fund such as Vanguard Intermediate Investment grade bond, VFICX, performed much better in 2011 and 2012.
  • Reply to @msf: it has been a choice in my legacy MS 401K which i keep due to the institutional share class availability and pretty wide fund selection. it seems that the growth team at MS had the first dips on all popular IPOs and private placements before the IPOs took place: FB, LNKD, GRPN. But one thing is to have a choice of getting these in size; the other is to be able to look under the hood and say no. I don't have a view on the team before Dennis Lynch took over in 2002.
  • edited December 2012
    Reply to @Sven: You were more much more patient. I dumped them in May and replaced the fund with GLRBX.
  • Reply to @BenWP: I am keeping CIPSX along with FMIMX which had similar performance shortfall. I sure wished better but these are low beta conservative funds. I will give another year.
  • edited December 2012
    Reply to @Investor:

GLRBX was doing great, its performance looks fantastic, but I guess it is in part because of its smallcap and midcap part, in part because of having 50% in bonds, 70% of which were in Treasuries. This last part seems pretty dangerous looking forward, just as the small-mid cap US stocks. Only 3% of the fund are in international stocks. It helped to protect the fund from the Europe disaster, but will it continue helping it in the future? I hope the managers of the fund will be flexible enough with their portfolio and change its composition when appropriate. Maybe increasing international and decreasing bond part will make GLRBX more similar to IVWIX? I am not trying to defend IVWIX, I am trying to solve this riddle for myself since I have some $ in IVWIX.
  • edited December 2012
    Hands down -- CGMFX. I'm down 20% net lifetime investment on it. Ken Heebner has a short position on US Treasuries right now; 15% of portfolio.
  • Reply to @Investor: I exited the entire position in January 2012. It was holding one too many "value trap stocks". Prior to that it was trimmed throughout 2011 and replaced with Wasatch EM Small Cap, WAEMX, first, then the rest with PQIIX. This combination have done much better both on the upsides as well as during the downswing. Right now it is a good time to analyze the entire portfolio with M* X-ray tool.
  • Reply to @Sven:

I've put half of the monies in that was in PRPFX into PONDX. A quarter also went into SUBFX and the rest went to fund purchases into RWGFX.
  • I would have to admit that FVALX has been a suprising disappointment. I know that Tom Forester will lag in bull markets. But the negative return year to-date is a bit strange. M* moved the fund from large cap value to long-short equity this year. But his extreme caution was not rewarded. If the market tanks, I would expect the fund to look much better, as it did in 2008.

I am not at all disappointed in PRPFX. It is still up 6.5% year to-date. Those funds that have under-performed have lower volatility and have historically lagged when the market is strong. Manager Michael Cuggino has reduced the duration of his Treasuries. I understand the concern many people have about the potential pressure that falling bond values and potentially lower gold prices could have on this fund. But I think the fund will do ok. It is not supposed to shoot out the lights, rather to smooth the waves of volatility. We will stick with it for the forseeable future as a core low-risk hold.

How about UPSIDE surprises? Yeah, a few there, too. IVAEX has had a great year. While I am not surprised the fund had a good year, the 18% gain year to-date is a whopper. Managers Avery and Caldwell have done a really good job. They are among the best at what they do.

Another is GIMDX, demonstrating manager Finkelstein and his team have found a strategy that is working well, despite the fact that M* doesn't like anything about the fund. Investors looking for a local currency fund that does not play around with derivitives might do well to peruse this one. In fact, it's been a great year for foreign bond investors. What will 2013 bring?

ARTMX has had another very strong year. Folks were worried that the fund had gotten too big to out-perform, but a 20% return puts that argument to shame. And DEFIX is going strong again, a fund that remains undiscovered for the most part, which is fine with us. ISTIX has led the tech/science fund group, despite an almost 8% weighting in AAPL. And MAPIX is have another great year, which gives proof that great managers can overcome extreme negative sentiment for a region of the world.

My guess is that most investors are plesantly surprised by the overall positive numbers most of their funds have put up this year.

• edited March 2013
    Old-school here. But think a year precious little time to form an opinion.
  • edited December 2012
    marisco 21st century mxxix - very dismal performance so far. guess it's better to buy the index and watch it grow by itself then try to outguess yourself or the market.

This question raise another one: which funds would you folks most likely hold for another 1-3 yrs?
  • Reply to @johnN: I think that's an interesting question for the board John and you should start a new separate thread with it.
  • Reply to @BobC: Surprised for sure. I wasn't expecting much if anything from my fund holdings. Danoff and FCNTX continue to astound me, MAPIX as you mentioned and MSMLX + WAESX as well while TIBIX just keeps chugging along. Overall my whining is muted at best.
  • Agree with Mark. That question would make a very good thread.