Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

• msf December 2012
  • Ted December 2012
Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

new roth ira

tip
edited December 2012 in Fund Discussions
I'm trying to encourage my 20 yr. old son to start a roth. He has 3300.00 in earned income. Need advice on investments. I was thinking of Vanguard for starting out. Anyboby have any thoughts?

Comments

• TedTed
    edited December 2012
    Dear Tip: Might I suggest your son open a Vanguard Brokerage Account and invest in the following two Vanguard ETFs, VTI & VXUS, putting $1650 in each fund. I would normally recommend their open-ended counterparts but there is a minimum intial investment of $3000 or higher in all of their mutual funds. At his age and a very long investment horizon, you son should be aggressive, and these two ETFs will give him excellent worldwide equities exposure.
    Regards,

VTI Snapshot: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=0970&FundIntExt=INT

VXUS Snapshot: https://personal.vanguard.com/us/funds/snapshot?FundId=3369&FundIntExt=INT
  • Vanguard kept its STAR fund open to investors with just $1K to invest - they felt it provided a good broad market exposure for investors just starting out. There's something to be said for a new investor not going 100% into stocks. I can still remember being anxious about investing at all (you mean I can lose money?). STAR lets young people get their toes wet.

More recently, Vanguard created its Target Retirement funds. These too have $1K minimums. The Target 2060 Fund VTTSX (that's as far out as Vanguard goes) is a mix of the funds you recommend - Total Stock Market and Total Int'l Stock, with about 10% of Total Bond Market II thrown in. (Why, you ask, Bond Market II? I ask the same thing.) This might be a reasonable alternative, still following your thinking.

This fund does have a hometown bias - it's 7:3 domestic/foreign. The mix in the real world is closer to 1:1, as you suggest. And the fund does gradually shift its stock/bond mix, but not for about 22 years.

If you like the 1:1 mix, then why not just go with VTWSX (currently about 4:5 domestic/foreign)? This fund has a $3K min, so by sticking with one fund, one doesn't have to go the ETF route (VT).