Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

"Physician, heal thyself!" Note to Max Bialystock: pay attention to this

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=381584

From Morningstar. Portfolio makeover for new retiree, mid-50s. I'm not retired YET, but the makeover approach here makes a great deal of sense to me, even if I do not choose the offered funds. I'm cash-poor, not much bond exposure yet, either. Top-heavy with equity funds. Happily, expecting to have some free money fall on me from out of the sky---an inheritance---sooner rather than later. Guess I'll wait to see what that amounts to, then make some moves..... Wifey tells me a very nice home can be had in the Philippines for approx. $30,000 US. Hmmmmm.... Along with much cheaper prescriptions, $10 dentist visits, that could work out, even without Medicare covering me. Ireland is another option in theory for me, but living in Ireland is EXPENSIVE. (Irish citizen, too.) Anyway, enjoy the article. -----Max.

Comments

• edited May 2011
    Costa Rica, which is often discussed, is 495 of their currency for one of our dollars. I actually have little fixed income at this point and admittedly, I don't have a strong view on any fixed income sectors in terms of how they will fare in upcoming years aside from maybe floating rate and EM may continue to do well. Currently a mix of individual stocks, some funds (including Cambria Global Tactical ETF again, which I sold early this year and have now come back to) and commodities. Really trying to wrap things up and be able to step away from micromanaging.