Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Bull Market Roars Past Many U.S. Investors

Comments

• edited December 2012
    If my own timing has been fortuitous, it's by coincidence. Since I started in 2003, I've stuck to an investing plan (Laugh!) dictated by a lot of unpredictable events along the way. What I mean, for the most part, is that I jumped from one position to another, often without any warning, because I wore out my welcome at each. Another ingredient is accident of birth, and money gratefully inherited from two maiden aunts. Otherwise, I'd be pretty much S.O.L.... I stayed the course through 2008-09 because I could not afford NOT to. The lion's share of my stuff was sitting in a 403b, and I surely did not want to give myself a self-inflicted 10% tax penalty-wound by withdrawing any of it. Nor did I wabnt to do a David Letterman-style "Stupid People Trick" by borrowing against it. On the other hand, there are certainly those out there who found themselves at some point unable to do anything ELSE.

What I have managed to do consistently, in spite of everything, was to constantly dollar-cost-average my way into funds and let the profits ride, thus bringing down my average cost and increasing profit in a way directly inverse to that. Good on me. But then, it's not like there were many available options along the way. And I have , I think, pretty much kept from shooting myself in the foot by diving in and out of DIFFERENT funds, too. I've made very few changes in ten years' time. Having constructed the portfolio in fits and starts, I like the way it looks, now.