Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Healthcare Tanks on Medicare-For-All Worries

edited April 2019 in The OT Bullpen
Healthcare Tanks on Medicare-For-All Worries
IA

Logo

Chart Advisor | Focus on the Price

By John Jagerson, CFA, CMT

Wednesday, April 17, 2019

1. Medicare-for-all worries may be oversold

2. Consumers look good but yield curve still a problem for banks

3. Earnings reports at resistance increases risk

Major Moves

The healthcare sector dropped lower today on concerns about the rising probability for further government healthcare reform after the elections in 2020. Presidential Candidate, Bernie Sanders, hosted a ‘townhall’ interview on Fox News yesterday where he made an appeal for his Medicare-for-all plan which polls well amongst American voters.

I recognize that my readers likely have passionate feelings about the Affordable Care Act (ACA) and other potential plans for healthcare reform. However, regardless of how you feel about the idea from a political perspective the dollars and cents aspect of reform isn’t easy to correctly anticipate.

For example, when the ACA started to look more likely to pass in 2009 and 2010, the healthcare sector went through several rounds of selling as investors worried about its impact. Ultimately, the legislation wound up being a massive stimulus for the healthcare sector that has grown more than 200% since its passage because it increased demand for healthcare services.

I am not suggesting that I know a Medicare-for-all plan will be good for healthcare stocks because the ACA was. My point is that no one knows for sure how it will shake out this far in advance, so the reaction today seems overblown. This is where technical analysis can help because it is easier to identify likely levels of support and resistance where an overreaction may reverse.

In the following chart, I have used the SPDR Healthcare ETF (XLV) to represent the entire sector. As you can see, the price completed a small double-top pattern during yesterday’s selling. My estimated price target has been set just above $86 per share based on a fibonacci measurement of the double top. This is roughly equal to two major pivots formed in October and March of 2018.

Although I suspect the healthcare sector is close to a support level, if today's break is sustained tomorrow then I expect that sellers could take prices all the way back to last year’s lows. The purpose of analysis like this is to make more objective estimates for where prices are likely to change when selling is based on fears of a possible electoral change nearly two years in the future.

Russell 2000

As I mentioned in Monday’s Chart Advisor newsletter, the healthcare sector is a major component of the S&P 500, so poor performance is dragging on its returns. The Nasdaq and Dow aren’t immune from the troubles in healthcare either where it represents 9% of the companies in the Nasdaq composite index and 12% in the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

I am more concerned about the fact that the healthcare sector is over-represented among small-cap stocks. For example, the Russell 2000 small cap index has an allocation of 15.34% to healthcare stocks. This is an issue because small-caps are already relatively weak compared to the large-cap indexes and have been unable to break resistance since the February highs.

From a technical perspective, small-caps are at risk of a pullback right now, which could be triggered by the selling in healthcare stocks. This is a concern for investors with exposure to small-caps, but I think we can also use this relationship to identify the right dip to look at small-caps as a buying opportunity. For example, if healthcare stocks are oversold and rally at near-term support, that would be a signal that small-cap indexes are also at a stopping point and likely to move higher.

I have been encouraged by the recent bank reports. Including Bank of America (BAC), the bias seemed to be in favor of rising demand for credit and spending from consumers. There were a few issues at Citigroup (C) but otherwise, the outlook for mortgages and credit cards seemed to be improving.

However, today’s report from Bank of New York Mellon (BK) is a wakeup call that regardless of consumers, the yield curve is still a big problem for the financial sector. BK was down over 9% today as its management warned that the narrow yield curve will lower revenue and earnings this year. A flat or inverted yield curve is a problem for banks because it reduces the difference between the interest rate at which they can lend versus the interest rate they pay, that is called the net interest margin.

As you can see in the following chart, the selling in BK is following a similar pattern that has formed this quarter. Stocks that have reached the top of a consolidation range and subsequently miss expectations or lower their outlook in their earnings report experience a larger than usual correction to the downside. The BK report was bad, but the stock looks like it fell so much because traders had stops under the prior low at $50 per share which would explain why the selling accelerated at that level when the stock opened just under $50 per share.

Read more:

Bond yield curve holds predictive powers

What Net Interest Margin Is Typical for a Bank?

Stop-Loss vs. Stop-Limit Order: Which Order to Use?

Bottom Line - Retail Still Looks Good

Whether you love or hate the ACA and the prospects of further healthcare reform, the potential for change is hitting prices hard this week. I would expect volatility in the healthcare sector and the major indexes to be elevated in the short-term, but a rebound at support could be a new buying opportunity. Earnings continue to be mixed, however, despite BK’s negative report, the data still looks positive for consumer financing and spending so retail is likely to remain attractive.

Read more:

Investing In Healthcare Facilities

Netflix Trading Higher After Lowering Guidance

Learn the basics of investing

How can we improve the new Chart Advisor? Tell us at [email protected]

Enjoy the Chart Advisor? Copy and share the link below to invite friends to sign up

http://link.investopedia.com/join/53o/00-fwd-chartadvisor