Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Off to a red Futures start !

Did anyone here put in a buy before the bell rang ?
Derf
May 31 in Off-Topic Flag
With the weekend close in hand , I was wondering if any buys went out. I think S&P was at 2752 close. With 2 days to cool off, it will be interesting to see what happens on Monday. Does anyone want to come forth & read their crystal ball ?
Derf

Comments

• Hi @Derf:

You have asked a number of questions of me over time. I now have a question for you.

What is your investment strategy (and game plan) to deal with the current investment climate that we are facing?

Thanks,

Old_Skeet
  • Investment game plan "long" term Have enough money until called home . Recently moved money that was in broker & bank accounts into CD's. I still have enough dry powder, if Mr. Market moves lower. If one brings up a chart of returns from say10 years back to present, I believe it has been to rapid ! But what do I know !?
    Latest buys 12/26/18,VMNVX & 3/22/19 to get Voyager. If Mr Market continues to fall another buy in the above will be done. Maybe as soon as today!
    I confess I use one or two of your funds from your sleeves. Thanks !
    As I've said a few times before, different strokes for different folks. In closing I should mention that around the end of 3/rd Qter 2018, "2" 401k's were moved to IRA. That is where the purchases for VMNVX came from. Also SS has taken a considerable jump.
    Derf
  • edited June 2019
    @Derf - Thanks. I was wondering the same as Ol’Skeet. First, let me say I always enjoy your questions and comments. (You’re Tier 5 in my book).

I think what Ol’Skeet and I may be pondering here is that at today’s very high levels, a 300 or 400 point one-day drop doesn’t necessarily indicate a good buying opportunity. It may or may not be. And I’d have to agree with your other observation that compared to 2008-‘09 levels the market still looks pretty rich. Sounds like you have many years to go and are well positioned for the long term.

We were wondering, I think, whether you have any trigger-points (in terms of index levels, percentage gains and losses, interest rates, etc.) that guide your decisions. But it’s always fine to feel-out others here about their perceptions of market value - which I suspect was your purpose.

I was forced by age considerations a year ago to stop adjusting my allocations based on market fluctuations. At a “ripe” age one could end up perpetually buying down all the way to the poor house before a trend reversed. My static allocation went into effect in June of last year. It’s diversified in an attempt to hedge potential losses. (It’s also heavier into fixed income than I’d prefer at these interest rates.) I review the different portfolio components (sleeves) every 3 months. A major deviation from norm (by several percentages points) would require a rebalance. However, nothing has changed substantially in nearly a year. I’m pretty sure there will be no rebalance needed at the end of June.

Yes - I did open a small spec position in a miners fund about a month ago. Rather than add to / alter my static allocation to real assets I simply “borrowed” a small sum from my cash allocation for spec purposes. It’s my intent to average back out of that in coming months if gold moves according to my hunch. But I’ll admit it’s a speculative move and nothing I’d recommend to others.

In a nutshell - Steady as she goes,

Regards

Edit / Add: @Derf, Reading tea leaves, crystal balls, or sensing the way the wind is blowing aren’t reliable methods of investing. So I try to shut-out the noise and macro-political components. A good company is a good company come thick or thin, hell or high water. Since you ask, however, the one thing that most concerns me near-term is the very high probability the next U.S. election will be acrimonious at best and the outcome contested / undecided at worst. Both sides alleged fraud last time around. Why should we expect things to get better this time? And I don’t think the markets have fully priced-in this uncertainty as of yet.
  • edited June 2019
    Hi @Derf,

Thanks for your response.

Somehow, I feel you are just floating with no set direction?

Take care.

Skeet

• @Old_Skeet; You are right, I've been floating since I rolled two 401-k around the end of qter 3 2018. Then other things got in the way . A move, illness. then honey do's at new house, plus getting the condo ready for sale I guess I could have invested back into what was sold during rollover , but market was in a DOWN movement.

@hank: (You’re Tier 5 in my book). Thanks for comment, it brought a smile & laugh to me !!!

Not really, turned 70 in Feb.

I'd agree with you there.

< A good company is a good company come thick or thin, hell or high water. >
    I'm not so sure of that. Boeing & as of tonight's news the top four tech co. Amazon, Apple, Google, & Facebook to be investigated. https://www.independent.co.uk/topic/Facebook?CMP

Gentlemen, I hope I answered some of your questions.
    Derf