Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Most Disappointing Fund, redux (OAKBX)

edited January 2013 in Fund Discussions
Here is a link to the latest fund manager's letter for OAKBX. http://www.oakmark.com/opencommentary.asp?commentary_id=664&news_from=c&fund_id=0

Since 2008, when OAKBX did preserve us shareholders from the worst of the crash, performance has been mediocre. Even at 74% equity exposure, the fund still can't approach its bogey and in 2012 fell 3 percentage points below the Lipper balanced fund standard of +12%. Management admits to over-exposure to the energy sector. Cynical shareholders, including me, would accuse the manager of falling into a value trap.

Comments

• Just a thought - a few years ago MacGregor was proclaimed a genius when Nygren was stinking up the joint. Maybe they swapped medications.
  • edited January 2013
    Energy hasn't done well for a year or two now, although Canadian energy (and as of 9/30, OAKBX included Encana, Cenovus (together make up about 5% of the portfolio) has done particularly badly, with some of the bigger names not that terribly far off 2009 lows. OAKBX also has an assortment of various US names.

Personally, I've added exposure to Canadian oil names and think adding - to a reasonable degree, given one's risk tolerance - to energy and real assets in general that have underperformed in the last couple of years is certainly not a bad idea, especially for those with a mid-term time horizon. As for the Canadian names, given how they've done, I think there's the chance of seeing more deals similar to the CNOOC/Nexen deal that happened last year.

Not going to recommend whether or not to hold the fund, but I do think there are some values in energy.

• TedTed
    edited January 2013
    DearBenWP: For your information, I have linked M*'s 5-year total return for moderate allocation funds. There are several dozen funds that have outperformed OAKBX over that time span. Suggest you dump Oakmark Equity & Income I Fund. I like Villere in the moderate allocation space.
    Regards,
    Ted
    http://news.morningstar.com/fund-category-returns/moderate-allocation/$FOCA$MA.aspx Click-On 5-Yr.% at top
  • Reply to @scott: I think you're right about there being some values in energy but I don't think they're in the E&P companies this fund seems fond of. Sure their prices will soar as the cost of a barrel of oil goes up, and crash with the opposite but long term I think they will just drift about aimlessly. Of course if I knew anything I'd be rich so take these comments for what they're worth. My money is on the mid-stream companies.
  • edited January 2013
    Reply to @Mark: I do think there are some values in energy (especially in Canada), but the majority of my allocation to energy is also to midstream (particularly Kinder Morgan.)
  • edited January 2013
    I wonder what is your time horizon? If you are looking at the 5 years outperformance, you may easily find a fund beating OAKBX. On the other hand, such funds as OAKBX and FPACX beat most other funds since their inception, and they provided incredibly smooth ride during that time. Similar comment is about Nygren OAKLX and OAKMX. In fact, the example of OAKMX illustrates very well the danger of making short term decisions. This fund was created in 1999. During the first 10 years of its existence, $10 invested there become $60 (!!!), and this growth was very nice and smooth. This was simply incredible! Then its manager (Sanborn) made a mistake, the fund significantly corrected, and he was fired. (What an interesting decision: Even in the depth of this correction, $10 invested at inception were $40!). Then Nygren became its manager (starting 03/21/2000). During the last 13 years since March 2000, $10 invested in S&P500 became $12.42, whereas $10 invested in OAKMX became $28.63, so the money were growing faster than in S&P500 by a factor of 18.53/2.42 = 7.64. Can you beat S&P500 by the factor of 7.4 by choosing and picking successful funds on your own?

Thus it is very easy to be critical with respect to the Oakmark managers. Their advantages often become apparent on scale greater than 10 years. What is especially interesting is that their international fund colleagues are equally successful. Thus it seems that they have good investment culture there. Of course there is no guarantee that this long term outperformance will continue, especially at the time when large cap stocks are supposed to dominate, and the OAKBX became so large, so in the end it is up to you to make your decision. But I would not dismiss these managers simply because during the last 5 years some other managers were doing better.
  • Thanks to all for the comments and advice. I am a long-time investor in several Oakmark funds and I established my largest non-retirement account position in 2005 in OAKBX, with the goal of using it to anchor my active portfolio. My intention was to hang in through a period of under-performance, but my confidence has been shaken. The bond sleeve of the fund has not done well for some time. Co-manager Studzinski retired under mysterious circumstances. MacGregor re-opens the fund and gets media coverage (why?). I have not lost money, so selling OAKBX presents tax problems. I have been looking at Villere and I have a small position in FPACX. La vie est belle.
  • Compare FPACX and OAKBX, I am not sure that these positions are much different in terms of bonds/cash:

FPACX 34% cash, 3.6% in bonds, 43% US stocks, 13% international

OAKBX 15% in cash, 13% in short term Treasuries (i.e. almost cash), 57% US stocks, 12.5% international

Of course it is up to you to decide which fund is better, but I noticed that many managers whom we like for their long term performance have lots of money in cash now, look e.g. at ARIVX. The real argument to sell would not be the cash position per se, which can be used opportunistically by talented managers, but some other problems (loss of touch, aging manager, too large portfolio). I guess you need to check how significant these factors are.

I must be clear: I am not advocating the benefits of having OAKBX; I do not have much money there, though I am considering it, as well as FPACX. Nobody knows how these funds will behave in future; chances are they will do at least OK. What I am trying to say is that Oakmark people do not like bonds and cash now, they believe that stocks are undervalued. This view is challenged by others. It seems that OAKBX uses short term bonds in a way similar to cash. Others use a more aggressive bond allocation. Few years later we will know who made a better call.
  • edited January 2013
    Reply to @BenWP: Past performance is not an indicator of future results, but if you're a long-term holder and have become disappointed, it may be worth looking around at what else is available.
  • You can, of course, do whatever you want with OAKBX. But I think you would be very shortsighted to dump it. Assuming that it is just one piece of your portfolio, this fund's manager has always managed for risk, NOT for capital appreciation. First of all, I would quit comparing OAKBX with funds that are not even closely related to it. This is certainly the case with M*'s crappy method of forcing every fund into one of its boxes and categories, no matter that it is a square fund in a round box. PRWCX and DODBX and VWELX and in no way similar to OAKBX. It is managed very differently from the others. It has a very low bear market rank by comparison, has a better worst 3-month return since inception, has a lower 5-yr downside capture ratio, and a lower Beta. These are all good things.

Hang on to OAKBX. Let it be your lower-risk "balanced" option. Use something else for that big alpha play.
  • You can, of course, do whatever you want with OAKBX. But I think you would be very shortsighted to dump it. Assuming that it is just one piece of your portfolio, this fund's manager has always managed for risk, NOT for capital appreciation. First of all, I would quit comparing OAKBX with funds that are not even closely related to it. This is certainly the case with M*'s crappy method of forcing every fund into one of its boxes and categories, no matter that it is a square fund in a round box. PRWCX and DODBX and VWELX and in no way similar to OAKBX. It is managed very differently from the others. It has a very low bear market rank by comparison, has a better worst 3-month return since inception, has a lower 5-yr downside capture ratio, and a lower Beta. These are all good things.

Hang on to OAKBX. Let it be your lower-risk "balanced" option. Use something else for that big alpha play.
  • edited January 2013
    Reply to @BobC: Thanks Bob C. Since you opined - I'll add that I use OAKBX as a conservative "hybrid" holding along with the likes of TRRIX and PRPFX. It's low enough volatility to use there - with better upside potential. Do understand the disappointment of those expecting equity-like performance - which it has sometimes delivered. (Thanks for providing some cover here:-)
  • Have you considered PAUDX?
  • PAUIX PAUDX - we like this a lot and it is a core hold in many client accounts. But understand it is VERY different than OAKBX. The two managers could hardly be more different in their style.
  • To add to the message by BobC: PAUIX is different from OAKBX not only in style but also in its tax inefficiency, so it is better to keep it in a tax-advantaged account.