Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

anything better than fidelity's full view w/ % of portfolio?

what i want seems like it ought to be no-brainer simple. like 'full view' at fidelity, it should aggregate all my accounts at various brokerages ... but do so accurately. then, it should give me the basics, which full view only does in its reports section, with all my holdings listed ... and then i should be able to sort the list in any way i want. specifically, i want to be able to sort by "% of portfolio", high to low. nope, can't do that with full view. nor can you do it on the all-accounts/positions tab, which doesn't even offer % of portfolio as one of its components.

then again, i could be missing something. am i?

if not, does any other site do what i'm looking for? last i gandered at mint, etc, they don't offer this option either.

Comments

• Personal Capital, maybe? It's what I use for a one-stop-shop dashboard of my accounts. Can't comment on the sorting aspects, as I never really play with the customizations, but it serves my needs ok enough.
  • M*'s portfolio manager will show you the %weight of your holdings within a portfolio you enter. You don't have to do anything other than register on the site to access this feature. I didn't try to sort the list but it looks like you could.
  • In my opinion, Fidelity's full view is only marginally adequate. But since the type of functionality you wish you had is rather expensive to code, code test, user test and then put into Change Management, it would seem Fidelity's not inclined to invest in a large project such as this with few/no returns, since they are .. in the business of making money. Realizing this sometime back, I created my own project in Excel and designed a screen view with the whole shooting match right down to income/equities counts, valuations, projected monthly/annual income, ratio of income to taxable/tax-free, annual income by fund for multiyear tracking, etc. I let Fidelity report to me (since they have to anyway) but I massage the numbers the way they work for me .. I don't need them for that part.:-)
  • my problem w fullview is simply that it is up to date one instance out of ten, plus or minus

I now can tell this simply by seeing whether it conforms within a few bucks w merril's 'my financial picture', which is always up to date and accurate

fullview regularly reports, I guess not regularly but irregularly, that a given outside account is current as of the wee date listed underneath, including latest timestamp ... except it's not, and clicking it, or checking at the origin site, will confirm
  • edited July 2019
    My strong preference is to use Morningstar Portfolio/Watchlist such that I can track my portfolio AA (and performance) by account type. In other words, I keep 3 active: Taxable, Tax-Deferred, and Tax-Exempt because I have target AA for each account type.

Personal Capital is really good only for aggregate portfolio tracking. Even though you can tag the individual accounts by "type", there are no report features that present data broken down by account type.

Gatorbyter
  • My strong preference is to use Morningstar Portfolio/Watcuhlist such that I can track my portfolio AA (and performance) by account type. In other words, I keep 3 active: Taxable, Tax-Deferred, and Tax-Exempt because I have target AA for each account type.

Personal Capital is really good only for aggregate portfolio tracking. Even though you can tag the individual accounts by "type", there are no report features that present data broken down by account type.

Gatorbyter

Gaytorbyter, nice to see you post on MFO!

How and why do you differentiate with your assets allocation between your three accounts?

Mona

• Primarily because AAs are different and the constituents in those AAs are different. My tax-exempt accounts are more aggressive (higher % of stocks, tilted towards growth). My taxable accounts are more conservative (higher % of bonds, all muni and tilted towards dividend paying equities). My tax-deferred accounts are something between the other two in terms of risk.
  • Primarily because AAs are different and the constituents in those AAs are different. My tax-exempt accounts are more aggressive (higher % of stocks, tilted towards growth). My taxable accounts are more conservative (higher % of bonds, all muni and tilted towards dividend paying equities). My tax-deferred accounts are something between the other two in terms of risk.

Gaytorbyter, thanks for elaborating.

Mona
  • There seem to be two tasks desired, at least by the OP:
    - Auto update of holdings (see more below)
    - Ability to sort at least on basic criteria like percentage of portfolio

Before even getting to update, there is a question of how aggregation works. For example, Fidelity FullView reports aggregate by brokerage, or by security. It's the latter I prefer. TIAA's 360 view aggregates by investment type. And so on.

I haven't found anything that handles savings bond aggregation. For example, I have two savings bonds, same denomination, same date, same account. FullView shows them as separate investments. But the same mutual fund held in multiple accounts appears as a single investment with the correct total number of shares. That's the behavior I prefer.

Some systems don't pull investment data, they just price the holdings you input. Vanguard works that way, as does M*. This has the virtue of greater security - you don't provide passwords. The downside is no updates.

TIAA's system does allow you to sort. But since the way it aggregates holdings isn't especially useful, the ability to sort that isn't helpful.

I agree with others that in its ability to sort and analyze, M*'s Portfolio Manager does the job. The problem is that you have to update it for transactions. The same could be said of a spreadsheet solution.

I'm having a lot of trouble finding an aggregator that provides for explicit exporting of aggregated data - which could then be imported into M*. But by using simple copy and paste, it is possible to import Fidelity's Full View report into Excel. (@costreduction how do you do your imports?)

From that point, one can easily sort on percentage of portfolio (it's one of the columns imported from Full View). Or one could export a csv and import that into Morningstar.

Personally, my portfolio changes so infrequently that once I've saved it in M*, all I need to do is look at FullViewmonthly, get an updated number of shares (for funds with divs), get corrected prices (for bonds), and transcribe them. Or let it be for a few months, since I just care about approximate allocations. Of course I must do an update at least annually, because of all the Dec divs.