Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Funds for my Roth at Fidelity

DPNDPN
edited January 2013 in Fund Discussions
Hi All,

I am working on my Roth and trying to settle it down a little this year. I'm pretty happy with it over all and realize there is a fair a mount of risk currently. Hopefully that pays off eventually, but for now I want to calm it down a bit by adding some funds as opposed to selling anything. I feel like it is a little on the aggressive side but I have about 20+ years to go so I am okay right now.

I want to deploy about 75-80% of my cash to 2 or 3 funds that I don't have to think too much about.

I am considering FBALX, FASGX, FSANX and Fidelity index funds, maybe FUSEX, FBIDX.

I really don't have any experience choosing funds beyond what I read here and hope that you might have some food for thought to help me along.

Thx
DPN

Current Allocation
TGLDX 6.5%
ARIVX 10.5%
FFFEX 18.5%
TOPPX 6.5%
FCNTX 5.25%
FSDIX 7.25%
FLPSX 9.0%
Stocks 7.5%
Cash 29.0%

Comments

• Howdy DPN,

You note:
    I feel like it is a little on the aggressive side but I have about 20+ years to go so I am okay right now
    A quick blip for my inflation adjusted 2 cents worth. If you add FUSEX, you will be adding to the aggressive side; at least relative to U.S. large cap equity. I don't think that FBIDX is going to add a lot to your wealth; although this fund/area will offer downside protection if equity markets go south, which would be its value and perhaps a +4%/year.

Cousins of the equity market that you could add within Fidelity would be FAGIX, Fido's most aggressive of its high yield bond sector; aggressive, meaning this fund usually holds higher risk junk bonds. SPHIX, also high yield bonds, but is a less aggressive (generally higher quality junk bonds) fund. Both have decent long term returns and will likely continue to do well; as long as the equity sector remains in place/sideways or upward. Another high yield bond fund to review would be FGHNX, which has also performed well. Although a relatively new offering from Fido, the lead manager is John Carlson; who is the manager of the highly regarded FNMIX, emerging markets bond fund. These would give you more exposure to other bond styles not in your mix.

As to the equity side for your cash, and in the moderate arena; you mentioned FBALX which is more in the mode of a 60/40 equity-bond mix and has a decent record. You may want to look at VILLX and/or MAPOX in the balanced area too; and available within Fido. This fund (VILLX), has a better performance record against FBALX; but will cost $75 in transaction fees and .4% more in expense ratio versus FBALX.

Or, you could add to you FSDIX holdings and get a bit more equity exposure; as well as some other sectors, which may not be in your other equity/bond holdings.
    ---FSDIX income first, then capital appreciation, 2.5% yield, 50% equity (80% large cap, 20% mid/small cap), 15% REITs, 11% convertible securities and 20% preferred stocks. Largest equity exposure (last report) = Exxon-Mobil, Chevron, Verizon, P&G, Pfizer, Microsoft, J&J, Merck, Simon properties and Coca-Cola.

Note: I lean towards the preservation of capital, in order to continue the most important area of investing; and that is to gather compounding of one's monies over the years. However, we all have to also establish our own risk/reward basis. Our house is retired, so our risk/reward will not be the same as yours; although we still must plan for another 20 years of positive investment returns, too.

Take care,
    Catch
  • DPNDPN
    edited January 2013
    Thx Catch,

Growth and compounding is my goal overall. Thanks for the input.

It quickly becomes overwhelming once I start trying to get too cleaver. That's why i'm looking for a little more auto pilot and lower ER (index funds). I will study the funds you mentioned and plan to add to some of my current holdings also.

When working with an Roth, I would think that it is common to have most cash invested as opposed to having a core cash amount that you cost average with. Is my thinking off on this?

Would spreading my purchases out over the year be a good idea not really matter in the long run.

or,

Buy it now and let it grow and compound. i.e auto pilot.

DPN

• Reply to @DPN:
    When working with an Roth, I would think that it is common to have most cash invested as opposed to having a core cash amount that you cost average with. Is my thinking off on this?
    I agree with your thinking. In addition, in my Roth I put the asset with the highest expected return.

Mona
  • edited January 2013
    One bond fund I like at Fido is FSICX. This is a multi-sector fund that has a pretty good track record. It holds goverment bonds, hi-yield corporates and emerging market bonds. So, it has a barbell like structure.

Of Equity funds, Fidelity has many index funds for you to choose. Recently they lowered the entry level for index funds.

If you prefer at actively managed funds:

FLPSX is my favorite. It has grown to a go-anywhere type of fund with 1/3 in International equities. It is typically value biased.

FCNTX is a conservative growth fund to consider.

From non-fidelity funds AKREX, YAFFX are funds to look. These are generally on the conservative side. Also take a look at RWGFX if you want something more aggressive. It is a newish fund but has better downside protection than some other aggressive growth funds.

On the international side:

FIGFX is an international fund to consider as a general purpose International fund. FEDDX looks promising in the emerging markets area.

Non-Fidelity funds, take a look at ARTHX, ARTRX, GPGOX and GPIOX. These are rather high ER but from Fund shops/managers that has good track record. If you are looking for something conservative FMIJX should be on your radar.

For balanced funds:

Consider GLRBX. Also take a look at GRSPX.
  • Dear DPN: With a 20 year time frame you want to be aggressive with an growth portfolio. here are some Fidelity Funds for your consideration.
    Regards,
    Ted

Low Priced Stock

FLPSX

Mid Cap Blend

20%

Contrafund

FCNTX

Large Cap Growth

20%

Large Cap Core Enhanced

FLCEX

Large Cap Blend

20%

Select Health Care

FSPHX

Health Care

15%

High Income

SPIX

High Yield

15%

Blue Chip Growth

FBGRX

Large Cap Growth

• DPNDPN
    edited January 2013
    Considering these three criteria- No load/NTF, lower ER, + yield, and moderate in terms of aggressive - I am leaning toward FBALX, and SPHIX as the additions to my Roth.

I will add to my existing FSDIX, FLPSX also

Might give FEDDX a go too. - Looks like 2012 will be hard to match and the er is little on the high side.

thanks for the reading.
  • Reply to @DPN:
    Forgto to note that I agree with Investor regarding FEDDX, if you want some smaller cap emerging market equity. Also, FTEMX; which is a blend of emerging market equity and bonds. Take a review of this fund, too.
    Best wishes with your choices.
    Regards,
    Catch
  • DPNDPN
    edited January 2013
    Keeping with mostly Fidelity and all NTF funds I suspect I'm over complication things with too many funds but I have listed what I'm thinking below.

I'm going to add FBALX @13% and am thinking about lowering FFFEX by 5% or maybe selling and replacing with OAKBX or other. I'm not sure if having both it is redundant.

To boost international exposure I am considering FEDDX @5% , and FIGFX @ 8%, but trying to decide between FIVFX, FIGFX.

Also considering MAINX.

The goal here is to let it sit and hopefully grow until I make a 2014 contribution.

Current Allocation
    TGLDX 6.5%
    ARIVX 10.5%
    FFFEX 18.5%
    TOPPX 6.5%
    FCNTX 5.25%
    FSDIX 7.25%
    FLPSX 9.0%
    Stocks 7.5%
    Cash 29.0%

Allocation after Change
    FFFEX or OAKBX=13.0%
    FBALX=13.0%
    FCNTX=5%
    TGLDX=7.5%

FSDIX=7.75%
    FLPSX=9.5%

ARIVX=13.5%
    TOPPX=5.0%

FEDDX=5.0%
    FIGFX=8.5%

SPHIX=4.5%
    MAINX=2.25%

Cash=5.5%

Thanks for your thoughts, input and suggestions.

DPN