Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Apple's Moat

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• edited January 2013
    My favorite bit: "I heard you have to have an adapter to use the dock on the new one." "Yeah, but they make the cooooolest adapters."

I have nothing against Apple or Apple products, but I think it was overhyped as an investment - the time to sell was when the analysts were going on about $1,000 a share targets. I do not want to be anywhere near the most widely owned stock on the planet, either (but that's just me) - too much daily BS pulling the stock in both directions, too much scrutiny, too much media.

• Market sentiment tends to follow the price of something, not the other way around, so people don't like Apple because its stock price is down. There are reports in the news about lower orders to their suppliers, which as a shareholder I am suspicious of, but Apple reports earnings in a week so we'll have more information then.
  • edited January 2013
    -
  • edited January 2013
    This is not new news. So, initial production issues have undercut the production but even with the lowered production apple is expected to earn $50 next year. If this is true, the current price implies a P/E of 10. Back out the cash on balance sheet, P/E is down to 8 or so. I think this is cheap and a valuation that is more typical of financially troubled companies. It might be buying opportunity.

http://news.morningstar.com/articlenet/article.aspx?id=580928

Having said that Blackberry maker RIM has been on a tear recently. Which would you take? RIM or Apple.

Note: I actually like the new 'lightning' connector. It is easier than micro-usb to use. It is more than a connector. There is an embedded chip in the connector that reprograms the signals so the same cable can actually function for multiple application purposes (data, audio, video and some new application that is not available yet). It is smarter than a regular cable. One thing I do not like is the cost. But, it sure does add to Apple's profits if you are an Apple stock owner.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Well, they don't "know" there are problems with the supply chain. There may be but those people are guessing.