Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Comments

• edited January 2013
    Cool.

But you know, some folks, like Mr. Redleaf at Whitebox Funds, are shorting small caps while going long equities, because they believe small caps are over valued.

That said, I may very well own ARIVX, finally, by tomorrow night...will let you know if goes through.
  • TedTed
    edited January 2013
    Reply to @Charles: Why in the world would you be interested in ARIVX ? The average SCV fund according to M* has outperformed ARIVX buy a wide margin.

Regards,
    Ted
    SCV (Average)
    1mo. 6.90% ARIVX 2.36%
    YTD 3.73% ARIVX 1.11%
    3mo. 8.18% ARIVX 1.28%
    1yr. 16.62% ARIVX 8.17%

M* Small Cap Value Category Returns: http://news.morningstar.com/fund-category-returns/small-value/$FOCA$SV.aspx
  • Check the 5 yr returns using icmax as Mr. Cinnamond's fund prior to 2011 when he managed Intrepid Small Cap and you'll see the attraction to ARIVX
  • Reply to @JimJ: I'm not impressed ! His record as Aston/River manager is what it is.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • edited January 2013
    Hi Ted. You are right of course, certainly about the last few months...ARIVX has under-performed. But since inception, it has done OK. Here's M* chart:

It has a good risk-averse manager in Cinnamond, as pointed out by JimJ, and has been reviewed well on MFO by David. I'm coming to appreciate the ASTON shop for their line-up, though I think their fees are a bit high, especially the 12b-1. And, the fund is closing, so would like to have opportunity to own.

Finally, I'm trying to reduce percentage of my bond funds, given the recent discussions on MFO, but without incurring attendant risk. Think ARIVX is could choice here.

Long and probably not very good answer to your ARIVX challenge. Thanks for making me re-think.
  • edited January 2013
    How about a foreign small cap? MSMLX. Just to introduce a little wrinkle.
    http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/f.aspx?pgid=hetopquote&t=msmlx

It is at the very least competitive with the other Matthews funds in terms of performance. I do not own it, though. I'm holding enough individual funds to make me happy and keep me busy, monitoring it all. And since retirement, I've got more time to do that. Wifey's working. Do I feel guilty? Hell, no.
  • edited January 2013
    Reply to @Ted: If you think a 1 year time frame is that important, than avoid this fund like the plague. For long term investors, it's hard to do any better than Eric Cinnamond. His lengthy track record over three funds speaks volumes. Just look at the excellent review of ARIVX on this site.
  • edited January 2013
    Thanks Max!

Here's why I can't...see yellow boxes:

Your recommendation certainly has high potential, just look at 2009. I like the Matthews' fund family, of course. But I already own a heart-attack fund in FAAFX...still waiting for my 2009.

Will add MSMLX to my notable list as well.
  • I see what you mean...