Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Here's a statement of the obvious: The opinions expressed here are those of the participants, not those of the Mutual Fund Observer. We cannot vouch for the accuracy or appropriateness of any of it, though we do encourage civility and good humor.

Support MFO

• Donate through PayPal

Roll overs at Fidelity

edited January 2013 in Fund Discussions
I changed jobs last year and was looking at rolling over my old 401 (k) to fidelity. I currently have my roth IRA with fidelity and like the company and the website and features. I was wondering if anyone could comment who has rolled over an old IRA to fidelity would share their experience and would you recommend I do likewise. My main motivation for doing so is more investment options and having more consolidation among my investments.
Also does anyone know if I do a roll over will all my accounts be consolidated in one account or seperate for each different type, for instance, ROTH IRA will be one accont and the roll over into a different account or will they be combined as far as the investment menu and my choices. Thanks for any advice and thoughts.

Comments

• Fidelity is a solid shop to set up your rollover, Roth and tradition IRA accounts. Rollover process from your old 401(K) is very easy as we have done so from our previous employers. All your tax-deferred and taxable accounts will be consolidated into one statement for ease of tracking.

Other on MFO also like T. Rowe Price and several other brokerages as well.
  • 401(k) will become a rollover IRA at Fidelity, which will be separate from your existing Roth IRA there. Investment choices available should be the same for both accounts. Keep in mind the new Rollover IRA contains pre-tax money while taxes have already been paid on the Roth IRA money.

• edited January 2013
    I have both the Roth IRA and Rollover IRA at Fidelity. They are different accounts by their nature but they will appear under the same login at Fidelity and you will get consolidated view. In fact, if you had a 401k account that is serviced by Fidelity, it would also show up in the consolidated view when you logon to Fidelity.

Fidelity makes 401k rollovers rather easy, you can do it online or talk to a representative or go to a Fidelity office if there is one nearby. They will take you through the process step by step.
  • chrisblade; Make sure you follow the green line. Seriously, Fidelity has excellent customer service, and will handle all your question and needs.
    Regards,
    Ted
  • Howdy,

I concur with the others. Fido is one of the top 3 families (price and vg) and very easy to deal with. Fill out and sign their papers making them the custodian and let them go get the monies. Keeps it clean. I moved wifey's Roth there and you just want to make sure you have brokerage functions on your account - that way you can buy any funds from any family and any individual stocks. Check on the availability of buy OTC and some select foreign exchanges - if that might be something you're interested in. If not, save it for later.

They'll keep the account separate but you'll get one stop statements where they'll both be listed separately. Makes life so much easier.

good luck,

peace,

rono
  • FYI, Fidelity is running a promotion on new accounts: 100 free trades for accounts over $50,000 and 200 free trades for accounts over $100,000.
  • I had decided to do the roll over, thanks again for all the great comments.